News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

54 horn contact

Started by RobertM, September 07, 2019, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Anyone have a picture of what a 54 horn contact is supposed to look like?

I replaced my turn signal switch. Thankfully that's fixed, but despite my best efforts it appears in removing the steering wheel I squished the contact beyond usable.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

RobertM

I need help guys. Not sure of the exact mechanism how contact is made. I've tried various depths of the steering wheel nut and the result is always the same. As soon as I put power to it, the horn blows. I'm sure theres a fix but it's not coming to me. What stops the horn button spring from automatically pushing the contact to complete the circuit?.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Roger Zimmermann

You need an insulator between the brass contact and the steering tube. For that, you must unsolder the brass part, add the insulator and resolder the brass.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

RobertM

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 10, 2019, 03:04:17 AM
You need an insulator between the brass contact and the steering tube. For that, you must unsolder the brass part, add the insulator and resolder the brass.

Roger, I don't see any evidence of an insulator having ever been there, and the horn worked perfectly before I took the wheel off.  There is a plastic washer that fits just on the inner edge of the top of the steering wheel nut/tube opening. I don't understand the purpose for the brass casing on the wire if it's not supposed to touch anything.

It seems my problem is I squished the brass washer to where it slips inside the plastic washer.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Roger Zimmermann

You got decent answer from the other forum you asked about your issue. The system is easy to understand: the white wire has 12 V; the brass fitting too. If the brass fitting is touching the steering tube, the horns will blow, therefore you need an insultation. To blow the horn, you press on the horn ring (which is also insulated because in contact with the brass fitting); then, it make contact with the tube, closing the circuit.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

RobertM

Thanks. Yes Jose helped me too. It was hard to understand at first. Now I have to try and fix it.

Thanks much for you your help!
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 10, 2019, 03:04:17 AM

Roger, on my '49, which has a similar contact mechanism, I wrapped a small rubber band around the area where the insulator goes and it works fine.  This saved me the trouble of unsoldering and resoldering the brass part.  Robert, I suggest that you try that first and if it doesn't work then do what Roger recommends.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Roger Zimmermann

As you know Jay, I'm also implied into scale models. It was for me a little thing to fabricate an insulator piece, unsold the wire, install the whole thing and resold the wire.
Robert created himself the issue by pulling the steering wheel by pushing on the brass fitting, destroying at the same time the insulator. He is not the first nor the last one to do that!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

RobertM

Got it. It turned into a 75 cent fix. This "flange bearing" at Home depot was the PERFECT size to replace the insulator. I cut down one side, slipped it on then epoxied the cut together. Perfect fit.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, the things that can be purchased from Home Depot.

But, looking at the package, I wonder where it was made?   They list USA, China, Taiwan, Germany or Thailand.   One would think that such a small piece, they would know where it was made. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

RobertM

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 16, 2019, 09:10:52 PM
Boy, the things that can be purchased from Home Depot.

But, looking at the package, I wonder where it was made?   They list USA, China, Taiwan, Germany or Thailand.   One would think that such a small piece, they would know where it was made. ;)

Bruce. >:D

They certainly are hedging their bet on truth in packaging.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA