News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is that a sensor?

Started by Roger Zimmermann, September 10, 2019, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The '72 CdV I bought is equipped with a speedometer in miles. Since about one year, I have a speedometer in km which is more legible in Europe. To replace it, I had to remove the trim under the steering column and the upper dash. I found something I don't know its purpose; have a look at the pictures. Is that a sensor? I found nothing is the shop manual; maybe I was not looking at the right place!
From the Cadillacs from the fifties I know almost everything; I have to learn again with the cars from the seventies!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

hornetball

Looks like an interior/instrument light socket with a plug.  Maybe it was for an option that your car doesn't have?  Should be able to track it down using wire color and a wiring diagram.

TJ Hopland

I too say its a light socket.   It does kinda look like that plug thing was made to fit there, looks like its got the 2 pegs and everything.   Maybe it is or was an LED that fell apart?   The option it didn't have seems reasonable too.   Maybe something like cruise control?  That had 2 lights in it.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

It could be for the cruise control. I saw only one lamp during its operation when there should be a second used as "lock-in". However, this lamp has 2 wires, the one thing I ignore its purpose has only one wire. I tried to remove that black element, without success.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Greg C

could the insert be removed and replaced with a bulb for trunk latch  if you don't have that option

Cadillac Fleetwood

Roger,
It is not a sensor. TJ and hornetball are correct; it's a light bulb socket. GM used that plastic filler, with pegs on it, to fill the space that would ordinarily be occupied by a light bulb.  Gray wire to a light socket ordinarily indicates instrument panel/accessory illumination. If this is near the radio, I am thinking that perhaps it is the radio illumination.  I also notice that you have the AM/FM integral tape player, which may have been illuminated from within, and not required a separate bulb and socket, hence the plugged socket.  There are two bulbs to the cruise control switch, but the bulbs have black plastic sockets, and not metal ones.

-Charles Fares

P.S.  If you need a cruise control directional signal lever, send me an e-mail.
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

The Tassie Devil(le)

The factories inserted these plastic plugs into sockets that were not being used so that there was no chance of the "live" wire finding its' way out and touching a grounding surface, thereby blowing a fuse.

To remove it, one has to treat it as a lamp, and push in and twist, then pull out.

A lot of manufacturers make wiring looms to suit many options, and simply not use parts when not required.  Beats the hell out of making a different loom for every conceivable option.

In your case, Cadillac didn't require many "empty" wires, as most people would have ordered most options.

I have stripped many cars, and that includes unwrapping wiring looms and separating the wiring, and sorting out and coiling each wire up for future use, and there are lots of "empty" wires within looms.

This way, I have the correct wiring colour codes and amply sizes and lengths to repair or replace any wiring within a car, and when doing RHD conversions, and building Hot Rods, nothing goes to waste.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

This is indeed a light socket, thanks for the hint. I could remove the black insert and effectively if the socket is hanging, the wire can come out and do a short. I did search into the shop manual; I cannot figure for which option this bulb was needed.
The wire is attached to the main harness with tape; as prior to my ownership somebody did an intervention under the dash, I cannot say if that tape is factory or not. I saw also a green wire with an unplugged connector and a cut blue wire for which I'm still unable to find to which circuit is does belong. Some more detective work!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

On a '72, it may be the 'trunk open' light, a bulb indicator for the rear defroster, or a fibre optic display for the mirror thermometer.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

The "open trunk" light is integrated in the warning lamps. Could be the lamp for the rear window defroster. Anyway, thanks to all for your help and hints!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Fleetwood

The wiring diagram in the FSM shows ten (10) lamp sockets with a single 18-gauge grey wire.  Two are for light switch illumination, one is for ATC control illumination, four are for instrument cluster illumination, one is for radio illumination, and two are for clock illumination. These are metal lamp sockets.  Also shown is a single plastic socket with two wires, 18-gauge grey, and an 18-gauge black, labeled "accessory illumination and ground".

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Matti R

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 11, 2019, 12:30:02 PM
The "open trunk" light is integrated in the warning lamps. Could be the lamp for the rear window defroster. Anyway, thanks to all for your help and hints!
Hi Roger,

I have similar item near radio and guessed it must illumination for rear defroster, which is not included in my-71 as an option.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

TJ Hopland

The plastic with the ground sounds like the one that would be for the optional thermometer fiber optic. 

What is ATC ?  automatic transmission control?   

35-709

Automatic Temperature Control
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I knew it had to be something obvious that I was missing.   Was pretty sure it wasn't the rare Air Traffic Control option.   Pretty sure that was only available with the even more rare supervillain edition. 

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2