News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Design For '37 LaSalle Mirror

Started by carlhungness, September 13, 2019, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

While looking at one of my '37 LaSalle bumper guards it occurred to me the part might be re-purposed into a mirror. Standing vertically it looks like it is just a tad too narrow. But how about if it were turned sideways, with the "crown" on the left (from the driver's side). Once could fill in a radiused piece on the bottom, so we'd have a sideways bumper guard as a mirror.
    I haven't gotten to the design of the 'stanchion' to hold the thing yet and don't know if it should attach to the door (clip on with screws as per all the other mirrors) or become a part of the door hinge pin.
    Then too, I'd like to see a "right hand side' mirror lense installed using the guard in its upright position. The right side mirrors have for years stated "Objects in Mirror are Closer Than They appear".
    I like the upright design as it nearly clones the front fender, and it has three stripes running across it. One could drill tiny holes between the stripes and install LED's, if you could figure out just how to electrify them. If mounted on the door via clip on, you could drill the door and its jamb and run the wires easily.
   I haven't yet seen a mirror that really lights my fire so I'm just letting my imagination run.
   Comments solicited.

carlhungness

I should have stated I am considering using only the top HALF of the bumper guard. I looked at the broken top half, and that's what gave me the idea.