News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hub Cap question

Started by susk, September 13, 2019, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susk

Hi All. New to the Forum. I have a 1971 Eldorado Convertible. I don't have alot of history info on the vehicle. I received it with these L78-15 wheels and tires.

I am looking for original or close to original that will fit these style rims.

Any suggestions?

76eldo

I may have a full set for you.  I need to dig around a bit to find them.

Here's the correct 71 Caps for an Eldorado.

See below.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

susk

Quote from: 76eldo on September 13, 2019, 11:30:18 PM
I may have a full set for you.  I need to dig around a bit to find them.

Here's the correct 71 Caps for an Eldorado.

See below.

Brian

That's great. I am not 100% certain that these wheels are the stock as the lip on them seems odd. If you get a chance are you able to send me a picture of inside the hub center?

76eldo

The rim is correct but you need different wheel weights. Cadillac caps grip on the edge not in the center. There are extended weights called CAX weights. Google that to see what they look like. I can sell you an assortment of weights to have to get them rebalanced. I’m sure I have caps but won’t be able to get to them until sometime next week.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I was tying slower than the last guy so some of this is a repeat of the above;

The one in your photo looks stock except for a bad paint job and the wrong weights.

67-78 Eldo caps will all fit.   Same with Toronado which were similar except for emblems of course. 

The caps on these grip on the very outer lip of the wheel so standard wheel weights get in the way.  The correct weights can be hard to find now and have a little extension on the clamp part to leave room for the hubcap.   They are called CAX you can still find them online.   If you buy them yourself you would usually buy a case of fairly large ones and the tire shop will have to cut them down to the required size.

In theory tape weights like are used on most rims these days should work if done properly.   Just doing balance on the inside has never worked for me.   These cars seem very sensitive to the tires and balance. 

Also note that these use unique valve stems so be sure to have a set of those on hand if you are going to get any tire work done.   The specialty vendors have them and there are some recent threads that post the Napa part number which I keep forgetting.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Use stuck on weights for the outside. The regular weights can be used on the inside.

That's too much weight in the pic shown. Newer tires (and you probably need them) should take less weight to balance.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Fins

As long as the balancer knows what he's doing. The stick on weights, if not super slim will get peeled right off by the brake caliper. There is barely 1/4" between the caliper and the rim when mounted on the car.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

67_Eldo

Quote from: susk on September 13, 2019, 10:54:14 PM
I received it with these L78-15 wheels and tires.
The wheel you pictured is a Toronado wheel. A Toronado wheel has more and smaller holes than do Eldorado wheels. Also, the little 'nubs' around the center section of the wheel are made to grip Toronado-style center caps. Those nubs are not present on Eldorado wheels because the Eldo always used full wheel covers.

The Toronado-ness of your wheel(s) doesn't impact any of the other comments in this thread. It's just something I thought you might like to know. :-)

I would also check the age of that tire. It looks pretty old. Once a tire gets beyond 7 to 8 years old, it runs the risk of disintegrating from old age. You don't want that to happen on the car the size of a 1971 Eldorado.

cadillacmike68

If these are Toronado wheels, the outer flange will not be deep enough to fully grab the Eldorado wheel cover.  You could lose a wheel cover to a pothole.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Interesting observation about the toronado wheel.  I had always read that that early toro wheel would only work with drum brakes.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

The Toronado was made up until 1992.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

67_Eldo

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 14, 2019, 10:05:00 PM
I had always read that that early toro wheel would only work with drum brakes.
Since the 1966 Toronado did not offer disc brakes as an option, the earliest Toro wheels were riveted, not welded, together. If you try to use early Toro wheels on a Toro/Eldo with disc brakes, the rivet heads will whack the brake calipers. Clearances are tight.

Relatively speaking, Olds sold quite a few 1966 Toronados. So beware of wheels bearing rivets because quite a few are still out there.

The best, if not the most organized, pile of info on Toronado/Eldorado wheels that I've found is here:

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/index.htm

For 1967 and 1968 Eldo enthusiasts, the holes in the original hubcaps line up with the holes in the steel wheels themselves.

67_Eldo

Quote from: Big Fins on September 15, 2019, 06:57:17 AM
The Toronado was made up until 1992.
Yes, but the unusual wheels that would fit a 1971 Eldorado were made between 1967 and 1978.

Toro/Eldo Wheels were changed for GM's Great Downsizing.