News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Owners manual slot in glove box door?

Started by TJ Hopland, September 16, 2019, 12:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

How many people knew that at least for 73 there was a slot in the right side of the glove box door that held the owners manual?    What other years had that? 

My story:

Today I finally spent some real time trying to figure out what is wrong with my climate control system in the 73 Eldo I have owned and been driving for over 20 years now.  Part of that process involved removing the glove box liner and door to get better access to the programmer.   When I was putting things back together I wondered why there was an odd cutout and color on the outside edge of the door.  Poked at it and pulled and it turns out to be what looks like a never been touched (till I did it today with dirty fingers) owners manual. 

Somewhere I do have one that I think came with some other paperwork and manuals that came with the car so apparently a past owner of this car didn't know it was there either and bought another one.  I'm pretty sure it was in a plastic bag with a price tag on it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

The '76 inserts from the left side of the glove box door.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

At least on the left side (assuming a LHD car (for Bruce)) you would have a better chance of noticing it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

My '72 has it on the Right side of the door, and that is where I keep my owners manual.   Plus, the '71 has it there as well.

I always thought it should have been on the left side of the door, and someone must have complained before the '76 model came out for them to change it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   If ever I decide to convert my '72 to RHD, then it will be easier to access.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

59-in-pieces

TJ,

What's up with your AVATAR - or is it time for new specs.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Fleetwood

1969 and 1970 have a slot on the LH side of the glove box door.
1971, 1972, and 1973 have a slot on the RH side of the glove box door.
1974, 1975, and 1976 (except 76 Seville) have a slot on the LH side of the glove box door.
1977 Eldorados have a slot on the LH side of the glove box door.
1978 Eldorados may have the same slot as the '77, but the owner's manual format changed in '78, and will not fit the slot.

Edit:  Notwithstanding the built-in storage slots, each of the above years came equipped with a vinyl pouch to house the owner's manual, warranty, and related documents, as follows:
1969: Tan with gold "Cadillac" stamping on flap (same as '68)
1970: Blue with gold "Cadillac" stamping on flap.
1971 through 1973:  blue
1974 and 1975: brown
1976 and 1977: black

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Big Fins

Gee, thanks Charles. Now I'm on the hunt for the black pouch!  ;D
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Now that you mention it I do remember a blue pouch in my stuff somewhere but not in the slot so I guess that means someone had the manual I found out at some point in history to remove it from the pouch. 

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on September 16, 2019, 12:41:25 PM
TJ,What's up with your AVATAR - or is it time for new specs.

Guessing that is some blurring photobucket did since I elected not to pay them to host photos anymore.   Strange that didn't happen till recently, most of the other photo links went dead a while ago.   The photo was my fleet of white Eldorado's sitting along the tree line at my friends place what is now many years ago.   The easiest thing I could find to replace it is the engine in my 90.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

EAM 17806

Quote from: Big Fins on September 16, 2019, 01:42:41 AM
The '76 inserts from the left side of the glove box door.
JOHN:  I've got a 76 coupe deville and had it since new but there just isn't any insert for the manual on the left side of the glove box door.  This car was purchased in November 1975 but no insert; was this some kind of an option or something?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Big Fins

Ya got me Ev. I keep the books inside the slot so they are out of the way for the other junk I keep in the glove box. Sunglasses, tissues for my wife, garage door remote, etc...
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

Big Fins

Lots of pollen in the air around here. I have a white p-cup that turns yellow overnight.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: EAM 17806 on September 18, 2019, 03:07:12 PM
  JOHN:  I've got a 76 coupe deville and had it since new but there just isn't any insert for the manual on the left side of the glove box door.  This car was purchased in November 1975 but no insert; was this some kind of an option or something?  EAM 
Is there a slot on the other side?

If not, then it might be an Eldorado only thing?

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

69Deville

Thank you for the information. I completely missed this on my 69 and am now on the hunt for the original vinyl pouch!
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

EAM 17806

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 18, 2019, 08:57:22 PM
Is there a slot on the other side?

If not, then it might be an Eldorado only thing?

No slot on the right side either; it probably was just for ELDOs as you state!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

76Caddy

My '76 Sedan de'Ville had the slot on the left side as does my '76 Fleetwood, so it wasn't just on Eldos.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Eldo, De'Ville, Calais, and Fleetwood all share dash components including glove box doors??

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 76Caddy on September 20, 2019, 06:10:44 PM
My '76 Sedan de'Ville had the slot on the left side as does my '76 Fleetwood, so it wasn't just on Eldos.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Eldo, De'Ville, Calais, and Fleetwood all share dash components including glove box doors??

Tim

Yes. All Calais, DeVille, and Fleetwood models shared the major dash components, with the only significant difference being the wood-grain insert texture and name plate, which varied between models. Glove box doors were identical, and all had the slot on the left to accommodate the owner's manual. The one exception would be the seldom-seen air bag equipped cars, which had a dorky-looking add-on glove box above the transmission hump, with a handle on the door.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

cadillacmike68

This is most interesting. Good to know the 69 and 70 had the same vinyl pouches.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike