News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 vs 66-69 differentials

Started by Jeffrey Burland, September 22, 2019, 08:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Burland

I've searched the forum posts and didn't get a related thread.

MPCs, Mitchells and Hollander are saying the 65 axle housing (exc. series 75) is the same as 66-69. 66-7 and 68-69 can be interchanged if the differential and axles are installed as a set. How is the 65 differential and axles different from the others so the axle housing which is said to be the same can not be used? Seems the driveshaft is '65 only too. Would it be if the driveshaft where changed with the axles and differential, it would work? Yes, I know, I know. Just want to see if someone really knows the differences. thanks, Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

fishnjim

Something a exploded parts diagram is good for.   Probably on microfiche somewhere.
I'd look them up/research in the parts lists or supplier catalogues, if you're really serious.
I'll see if I have anything in the archives but only if I remember and when down at the garage.   I have a guess, but nothing more.   You can scour the sales adds too to see if anything was "introduced".
The housings are cast, so harder to change design.  The width is about the only critical thing to make changes.   The guts can be changed easier.     
They tended to pump out common parts by lots and when anticipated exhausted they'd change, so not uncommon to be the same over a period of years.   It's all in the cost of production.   Tooling every year is expensive for the number sold and some of these are supplied by others, so there's a lag time to change, drawing approvals, bids, cost estimates, etc.

Jeffrey Burland

I know there are a lot of early 65 parts which never made it to the parts catalog and maybe the differential, axles and driveshaft were nixed in favor of a better design and all 3 can be swapped out. Seems any literature will say the same. The Serviceman might be the place to look. I have a set around somewhere. Thanks
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Maynard Krebs

I once bought a '65 Fleetwood for parts (mostly the engine), 'cause I knew that it had spent some years in the mud.... and figured the frame was no good.   What a surprise:  the frame was just fine!!   That's when it "hurt" to part it out, as it had a neat color scheme:  sandalwood beige paint.. with a whorehouse red leather interior!   Even the "C-pillar" interior lights were painted red --- not the lenses!

Anyway, I saved the driveshaft for a friend with a '65 Fltwd, figuring that if he ever needed one, it would be hard to find.   I remember looking up the facts in a "Mitchell's" parts book.... and was similarly puzzled over the '65 driveshaft being different than a '66.