News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Lower Control Arm

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, September 25, 2019, 08:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good morning.
Well the upper control arm bushings on our 70 have destroyed themselves. My guess is that before I got the car they were replaced and not torqued with the wheels loaded.
Anyway, as everyone knows, it isn't the job you are doing, it is the Might as Wells. Well, I might as well do the lower bushing while I am at it.
I have read the manual of course but I admit I am a little intimidated about unloading the spring. I certainly plan to be off to one side when I do it but any tips and tricks would be appreciated to SAFELY unload and reload the spring. Upper control arm is still off the car.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I'm not an expert but I think it was a good call to replace those bushings.
If you think these are bad, you should see my tires.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

klinebau

Following the service manual is a good start.  I looped a chain around the spring and frame for extra safety.  You also need to make sure the car is high enough to fully drop the lower control arm.
It will be difficult to remove the spring otherwise.  Sometimes freeing up the lower ball joint can be a pain.  smacking the knuckle in the area of the joint on both sides simultaneously worked for me.

I really didn't find removing the springs to be very scary, however reinstalling the springs is a different story.  The angle of the control arm makes it very difficult to raise the spring without the control arm slipping off the jack.  I found it much easier to compress the spring first with an internal spring compressor.  I also had trouble getting the spring to seat in the pocket correctly on the passenger side and had to use a pry bar with the spring compressor to keep it aligned.

One other thing you need to do is internally brace the lower control arm when pressing in a new bushing.  The service manual shows a special tool, but you can improvise.  I used a piece of exhaust tube that I sectioned out.  You will ruin the control arm if this is not supported correctly.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

chrisntam

When you press in the replacement bushings, BE SURE they go into the arms at the correct depth.  Dood who did mine pressed them in too far and I had to get junkyard lower control arms...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Yes I have done this job several times.  The spring position (how it is clocked) so that it is even with lower control arm as per manual is not easy, but you must do it.  I just followed the manual and no problem worked fine.  I bought a press for $100 on Harbor Freight and that has done about a dozen Cadillac suspension press works for me.  The Eldorado is more difficult.

On the might s wells, yes I media blasted and powder coated everything.  The photos are from a 1970 SDV.  It helps when you have free teenage labor to media blast and handle all the no fun work.  I did not media blast or powder coat the spindle because it is heat treated, that was sanded and painted.  This was back in 2013, and it still looks new.  Drives and rides like a dream.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
Coming in late here and looking at the pictures of the A'arms I would be very careful to check and verify everything for proper dimensions and correct size bushing holes.  Improper removal and installation of both upper and lower (lower are subjected to even more abuse during operation and bushing replacement) can distort the arms making repairs difficult.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

64\/54Cadillacking

Control arm bushings are one of the most overlooked suspension components when it comes to how ours cars ride and handle.

I remember years back when I owned my 94 Fleetwood Brougham, the upper and lower  control arm bushings were trashed and the car rode rough and handled like crap.

After all new bushings were installed, the car drove like It was new. It was quiet, and the bumps in the road were barley felt as the bushings absorb road shock. Sure tires and shocks can make a difference in ride quality, but I believe a fresh set of control arm bushings in many ways is more important and had a bigger effect on ride isolation and smoothness.

Replacing them is PITA but it isn’t hard to do when you have the right tools.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Thanks guys.
I had a jig set up to press in the top bushings last night but it didn't quite work as planned. I see the tool in the book and tried to make something but it wasn't strong enough. Will move on to plan B later.
Glad to know others have safely unloaded the springs at home. I tend to get intimidated by things that could kill me. That, I think, may be an advantage to age.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

klinebau

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on September 26, 2019, 10:53:09 AM
Thanks guys.
I had a jig set up to press in the top bushings last night but it didn't quite work as planned. I see the tool in the book and tried to make something but it wasn't strong enough. Will move on to plan B later.
Glad to know others have safely unloaded the springs at home. I tend to get intimidated by things that could kill me. That, I think, may be an advantage to age.

I made the tool exactly to spec from the service manual.  You are welcome to borrow it if you want.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: klinebau on September 26, 2019, 11:20:59 AM
I made the tool exactly to spec from the service manual.  You are welcome to borrow it if you want.

PM sent
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Scot Minesinger

That tool in service manual to press out the bushings is worth making.  It is easy, drill, metal saw, and file or grinder is all it takes.  Plus, it works on numerous other Cadillac and GM makes.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty