News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Cadillac Model 75 Fleetwood part wanted

Started by Robert Schaeffer, September 25, 2019, 03:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Schaeffer

I recently purchased a 1940 Cadillac Model 75 Fleetwood town car in remarkable condition.  However, it is missing the chrome strip that goes along the outer edge of the running board on the passenger side.  I have tried many Cadillac parts sites and have come up empty-handed.  Do any of you know where I might come by the part, NOS or reproduction?

Thank you,
Robert Schaeffer
Astoria, NY

carlhungness

I can't say for sure but it sounds like one of those Unobtanium parts to me. I wrote a story about my friend who has a '37' LaSalle convertible and admired his running board strips. He too could not find one so took a rocker panel strip off a 1954 Chevrolet, folded it and hand hammered the ends to suit. To my eye it looked more than acceptable, thus that's my suggestion to you. Of course I'm not sure if you Cad strip is longer, but at least you've been provided with a suggestion which is the best I can do.
      In other words you may have to poke around and find a strip that at least partially clones what you have and do some modification.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I think a company called Northfield Forming reproduced them.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

35-709

Bob is right and posted his reply before I could finish mine ---

Try ---
Northfield Forming
468 Etheridge Blvd.
Canal Fulton, OH  44614

They did the running board molding for both sides of my 1935 Cadillac back in 2010.  They also did the trim around the spare tire cover (both the face of the cover and the circumference) all in stainless steel, beautiful workmanship.  Their number is 330-854-6003.  Don't find a website for them but they do come up if you Google --- Northfield Forming and Machine so I have to assume they are still in business.
Don't be in a hurry.  I found them nice people to do business with. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I have been around these since 1979 and have never heard of anyone successfully reproducing these so if you are successful make sure to let everyone know that you have.  It was thin stainless around a steel core.  The peak in the middle requires the thin stainless since it is so sharp.  The steel rusted away resulting in these falling off the car.  They are the same in 39 and 40 for the 75 and 90 series cars.  38 does not have this trim.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo