News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

So what did you guys do all summer with your cars...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, September 27, 2019, 02:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

... or did you just type posts here?

After a 7K roof restoration The Ark was out there, 17 shows, only 2 of which sold hamburgers and both from high
end food trucks. And several cruises on beautiful days and warm evenings, just me and The Ark. Only got rained on once at Larz Anderson, watched "My Radar" like a pilot, found a hole in the front moving west to east, sped through it then south to sun and a dry trip home. The Ark ran PERFECTLY, every day, every time. Michael had to address the power steering leak again more aggressively in the spring (ie a longer hose and some jury rigging) and its perfect. The issue early in the spring where I felt the car was running funny "felt like it couldn't breathe" was again found to be my fault as most issues are owner induced. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE DIFFERENTLY FROM LAST YEAR LAURIE!" I added MMO and Sta-Bil to the fuel over the winter. Was told to run 3 tanks of gas sans any additives, and the problem cleared. Midway through the summer after coming home from a LONG fast hot humid ride the car felt 'rough'. Took it to Michael the next day, he wasn't there, but Gary was, and he's in the middle of painting a car. Begged him on bended knee to drive the car. "I'm painting a car". Please? "I'M PAINTING A CAR". Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeze? ...oh for Christ's sake... He changes clothes and takes The Ark for a spin. "What the hell is in here for plugs!" AC Delco! Keeping it authentic! "You're keeping it a $hitbox, put in NGK Model # whatever. CAN I GO BACK TO WORK NOW??" What a difference the plugs made. The Ark will never be perfectly smooth at idle since most of the vacuum lines are not connected/not properly connected. I'm not losing any sleep over that.

Just a BLAST to drive and drive and drive the car. Took him out to dinner a few times, even to look at new jobs. Hope to get him out a few more times before he goes away again this winter for paint and body. And I want the pax side manifold replaced, its really getting loud. It could just be the gasket. But all 8 bolts are going to break anyway so just replace the manifold, its a cheap part.

Some great events, we were fairly judged at Larz Anderson and Endicott by the NERCLC, also at Heritage. Falmouth Dream Show was a joke. If you want to have a private car show and a circle jerk for your members, don't advertise it as an open show and charge a fee, OK? Don't tell me the judging is done "secretly" when I see people with your laminates on, clipboards in hand, working in teams, looking at other cars, OK? Jeez! The Ark was robbed at the Blast Show, entered in "stock 1970" there were 3 of us - The Ark, a GTO with its a$$ 3' in the air and Foos mags, and a 70 Mustang with a chromed engine, and the hood closed. This show was run by my local club, they punted the 'judging' to their largest sponsor, who promptly punted the 'judging' to the children running their booth. These kids wouldn't know a 70 Cad if it hit them. But OOOOH, A MUSTANG! We were robbed, I felt so bad for the car. High point was hanging out all day with Bill Stephens from MECUM Auctions. I went up to him "Hi Bill, my name is Laurie" he says "I know, where's The Ark?" I almost fainted. What a cool guy with a very cool 204mph Viper. Threw in a last minute event for a friend who's on the board of the 'Cataumet School House', the oldest single room school house still in existence in America. They were having a charity car show, would I bring The Ark, he'd buy me a lobster roll. We were there and The Ark was the youngest car there, modern muscle, HA!

This year was a lot of 'work' showing The Ark, thank God there were no mechanical issues, he just ran and ran and ran. Several weekends of back to back shows, getting up at 3am to get there, etc. Car's And Cappucino's at MB Burlington was fun but a ton of euro trash, though I enjoy the McLarens. But Herb Chamber's Car's and Coffee is a MUST DO if you're in this area. He has 4 of these a year, spread out over his 52 (fifty two) dealerships. I've been trying to get to one of these for 2 years, this was my last chance. Held at his Lexus dealer in Hingham it was a BLAST. Just a BLAST! Everyone was so nice, unlike cappocinno's. Very well run, very fair as to how the cars would be parked, in a stellar, state of the art, dealership. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, chilled milk, juices, and 100 dozen donuts, free. The GM came over to me, "Herb wanted to see your car but he's out of town, mind if I take some pictures?" ...do I mind...  And Herb Chambers, being Herb Chambers, has this car thing figured out. The DJ, using a terrific loud and clean sound system, was playing nothing but MODERN music. For that 50's drivel to be relevant your traffic and your talent have to be +85 years old, such is not the case anymore, anywhere. That DJ played everything from 70's disco to Metallica, Bonnie Raitt to Ratt, Elton John to The Pretty Reckless. I went up and shook his hand. 'Have a request?" Queen! I'm In Love With My Car 'Its up in 3 songs'. He did play a 50's song, everyone started booing! He promptly faded that out and faded in Sammy Hagar "I can't drive 55", brilliant. Want to attract more (young) people to your events, play our music. That 50's $hit repels us. Deal with it.

The Thursday night cruise in at Gillette Stadium (home to our 3-0 New England Patriots) I went to drew 1500 cars - on a Thursday night, it was nuts. 5 food trucks, major vendors with major displays, interactive events for the kids, and fairly modern music played through a reasonable sound system. Nuts. Just a blast.

And I've finally wittled down 90 minutes of on-site show prep to about 45 minutes, "speed is the economy of motion" etc. Wish I had had more time to view more cars at the super shows like Endicott, Gillette, Father's Day and Heritage. It was just so hot and there were SO MANY cars.

Only one show next year, in Boston in March, World Of Wheels. I have a covered carrier to take us there and back, wx in Boston in March can be warm and sunny or 3' of snow and a blizzard, but we're going. This is a childhood block to check.

Then we're gone. Mecum Transport will take both of my cars to Florida for a fraction of what InterCity wanted just to take The Ark. Life, is who you know. Mhm.

Up here you still have some time, DRIVE YOUR CARS. More DRIVING, less TYPING. Got it? Now go drive...

Here's evidence a long hot wonderful summer of Ark driving. Blessed? Blessed beyond all that's reasonable. Couldn't do this without Michael Amster, Gary Amster, Chris Pyne, Mike Staab and the rest of the staff at the world famous Hyannis Vintage Auto, Mike Josephic, Charles Fares, and especially God who for some strange reason still keeps me around.

...drive your cars...

\m/
Laurie

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

More pics from this year...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

hornetball

I was working on Janice's car all Summer.  I did drive it some, but it has an old race tire for a seat right now.  Good core workout.   ;D

I think the real driving will start in the December time frame.  Fortunately, we get lots of pretty days (and some nasty ones) throughout the Winter, so we don't have to hibernate.

Wasn't New England supposed to have a warmer climate by now?

76eldo

Nice to see you still have the enthusiasm for car shows. I can’t read your posts in their entirety just skim through. Sometimes less is more.

Eventually you will see that most car shows are nonsense but I enjoy the social aspect of tallking with car owners. Every one of my cars has a story and I engage in conversation when someone asks me about my car. I never felt the need to wedge a billboard under my hood to tell a story.

The little plastic trophy’s are meaningless and the only real
shows where you get judged correctly would be a CLC grand national or an AACA event. The rest of these shows are inhabited by too many almost new Mustangs, Challengers and Vette’s.  If they don’t at least exclude cars that are not 25 years old I don’t even bother thinking about awards. Personally I don’t want people milling around my original paint cars and only take them to CLC events.

As far as actually doing something with my cars instead of “just typing” (an obvious dig at what you perceive to be old farts on this bord) I did as much as time would permit. Do you belong to the CLC and a local region?  I don’t recall seeing any posts about participating in any local CLC shows. Are there any regions near you?  That’s a better place to show your car and have it judged by Cadillac people.

Like I mentioned when you were prepping your car for its first car show, take those local yocal car shows with a grain of salt.

I’d suggest going to a GN with your car and meeting as many CLC people as you can. You have a fantastic car and you have a real commitment to it.  That’s nice. Enjoy it on some nice fall drives in the country. That’s what I try to do every chance I get. It clears my head, makes me realize why I collect cars and on the rare occasion I do go to a show it’s only to socialize.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Now that you mention it I guess this summer was eventful.
1. Barbara's car (76 coupe deVille) had a new p[added top and some cosmetics,
2. the Hot rod (73 Coupe) sat waiting for the  weather to cool down so I could revise the fuel system
3. The Paris got a new head liner and carpet.
Wow, such excitement. Just the thought tires me out
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

rwchatham CLC 21892

Laurie , if you’re looking to win points with the judges I’d get a little smaller sign . That huge sign you have takes away from the car itself and seems to be a plea for attention which in turn is going to turn a lot of judges off in my opinion .
R. Waligora

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 76eldo on September 27, 2019, 10:29:59 AM
Nice to see you still have the enthusiasm for car shows. I can’t read your posts in their entirety just skim through. Sometimes less is more.

Eventually you will see that most car shows are nonsense but I enjoy the social aspect of tallking with car owners. Every one of my cars has a story and I engage in conversation when someone asks me about my car. I never felt the need to wedge a billboard under my hood to tell a story.

The little plastic trophy’s are meaningless and the only real
shows where you get judged correctly would be a CLC grand national or an AACA event. The rest of these shows are inhabited by too many almost new Mustangs, Challengers and Vette’s.  If they don’t at least exclude cars that are not 25 years old I don’t even bother thinking about awards. Personally I don’t want people milling around my original paint cars and only take them to CLC events.

As far as actually doing something with my cars instead of “just typing” (an obvious dig at what you perceive to be old farts on this bord) I did as much as time would permit. Do you belong to the CLC and a local region?  I don’t recall seeing any posts about participating in any local CLC shows. Are there any regions near you?  That’s a better place to show your car and have it judged by Cadillac people.

Like I mentioned when you were prepping your car for its first car show, take those local yocal car shows with a grain of salt.

I’d suggest going to a GN with your car and meeting as many CLC people as you can. You have a fantastic car and you have a real commitment to it.  That’s nice. Enjoy it on some nice fall drives in the country. That’s what I try to do every chance I get. It clears my head, makes me realize why I collect cars and on the rare occasion I do go to a show it’s only to socialize.

Brian, if you look to the left where my avatar is, you'll see my CLC number proving I'm a member. Had you read my post in its entirety vs skimming you would have read we were at both of my region's events, of which I'm a member, at Larz Anderson and Endicott. I get far too much positive feedback on The Ark's sandwich board, that isn't changing. And I concur, the only place The Ark is actually fairly judged is a Cadillac event. I also enjoy hanging with the other car owners, made a lot of new friends this year, that's the up side.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: hornetball on September 27, 2019, 09:12:01 AM
Wasn't New England supposed to have a warmer climate by now?

So far this fall has been stellar, temps in the 70's low 80's, and its supposed to continue for the next few weeks.
If this is "global warming/global cooling/climate change" - GIVE ME MORE.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

Yep, and I am doing my part to keep this warming trend going by driving my car. 2000 miles on the rebuilt engine and Lexi is driving much like she must have when new. As for shows, I am inclined to agree with Brian. I prefer to attend Cadillac only, or Land Yacht events but they are few and far between up here. Many of the 'general' shows here are full of cars that I can go and see at the local car dealership showroom, or very late model vehicles. In another thread a number of us commented that often the 'best' show is the drive there or even at the gas station. The local cruise nights for me are more about socializing, even without my car. Still the message is to get out and drive them! As for the sign, I don't mind it, but think I would properly secure it on the pavement next to the car.

And yes, they should mix up the music to reflect what is out on the show field, and not alienate some of the younger set who are just beginning to navigate the classic car world. Some Metallica certainly works for me or even songs like Deep Purple's Highway Star, Buffalo's Mean Machine, BTO's Roll on Down the Highway, Satanic Rite's Live to Ride Judas Priest's Freewheel Burnin', Hellbent for Leather & Heading out to the Highway or Girlschool's Let's Go, & The Runaways California Paradise if you want to keep it vintage, for example. At least those numbers are mostly relevant to the 70s muscle car set & are all car related. OK, throw in some Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj for the young-uns to keep the party atmosphere alive.

Clay/Lexi \mm/

Jeepers Creepers

Summer or winter, we just get the Fleetwood out and use her as intended.

I'm not a huge fan of car shows, standing or sitting around, picking my toes doesn't do it for me.
Yet, i have a mate who will attend them morning, noon and night.
If car shows are your thing, go for it and enjoy  them.

I think the main thing, is just use your car.

I have another mate, who wouldn't do a 1,000 miles in a year.
Its just a ME THING, but for me, i don't seethe point in owning it.

The only thing I detest, is the heat generated on the dashboard top on hot days.
Ours is in mint condition......  they get hot.... I know one day its gunna crack.

Then it will come off, get repaired or replaced and go again.

Our Fleetwood will be out and about later today.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

wrefakis

going to drive it this weekend

Big Fins

After a hot summer getting the things I wanted done to the car, I can now appreciate what it drove and rode like when it was new.

A total carb resto by Daytona Parts, new rims that aren't bent, all new brakes, calipers, seals, new springs and the ALC adjusted properly. I did more miles in my car this past week than I did all year. And our cruising season is just beginning.

Shows? Maybe. They don't thrill me. Loud noise, kids, people pawing all over the car. I own it to drive it. Like Brian, it clears my mind of the weeks stress. On a Sunday morning, the roads are all mine up here. Cruise the beach and watch the sun rise.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Scot Minesinger

I drove my Cadillacs almost never less than once a week for the closed 1970 SDV and probably twice and three times a week for the 1970 DVC.  Drove it to GN 2019 in KY, 1,218 miles round trip with top down and it was awesome.  Other than an oil change and adding air to the spare, did not really do much but enjoy driving it.  My consulting business was busier than last couple years, so good thing - had to focus on work and my family mainly.  The good thing is you have to go places, so if you are busy the classic can be the mode of transportation.

Not one show, no time, except for GN.  However at GN it was display only.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Lexi glad to hear you're rolling again! Lots of those songs were used at Herb Chambers too, and Quiet Riot "Slick Black Cadillac". I believe 'California Paradise' is The Runaways? Great line - "the kids are ripping up the streets, in their super
cars, all night parties and loud guitars..." That's us! \m/

Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

quadfins

May.  Beach Music Cruise in @ Virginia Beach boardwalk. Hard to find a better venue. Fins overhanging the sand, waves crashing in the distance, thousands of spectators wanting to chat and reminisce. Best Stock car trophy.

June.   Drove 640 miles (each way) to CLC Grand National. Stayed Tuesday through Sunday. Chatted, schmoozed, renewed old friendships. Entered in class 19, Display Only, so that I could judge without a conflict of interest. Too many honks and thumbs up to count along the way, each fuel or grocery stop was a one car show. Mae a lot of kids happy when they took pictures with the car.

July.   Visiting elderly mother in California. Thousands of miles away from car, unable to attend shows.

August.   Toruring France. Thousands of miles away from car, unable to attend shows. Did spot a 1966 mustang convertible, Tahoe Turquoise, circling the Arc de Triumph in Paris.

September.   Two weeks ago, attended local CLC regional show. Relatively small, and open to other GM marques, but important to show support for regional activities. Entered as Do Not Judge. After a Senior Crown, local plastic trophies pale.

Last weekend.  Served as Gun Captain for national park service recreated cannon crew at Yorktown. Yes, some of us do have other interests.

Tomorrow.  WIngs, Wheels and Keels show in next county over. Will display only. Opportunity to share the car and bring smiles to many faces.

Good enough?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

Summer hasn't even started for me.

But, didn't do much this past Winter as I am still recovering, and I did do a bit of typing at my keyboard.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Plus, doing a bit of rationalising in the Garage and getting rid of excess stuff that nobody wants, as we need to downsize because the yard and house is too big, and I don't think I will ever find an Independent Living Complex (retirement home) that comes with a three car garage and carport for the boat, and a workshop attached.

PPS.   Did get the Ranchero Squire finished
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Wow! A 1280 mile GN run. Well done Jim. A lot of the fun is indeed found in the trip along the way. Laurie, you are correct. Shame on me, that song was by the Runaways. We even talked about that song not that long ago. Anyhow, I corrected my post. Hope all metal heads forgive me! Must be dyslexia or old age creeping up on me. About your topic, I did a major Cadillac show in July, in which the news may interest CLC members.

After getting most of the bugs worked out of my rebuild I drove Lexi to another country-the U.S.A. on July 14. While I was a little apprehensive about driving my 63 year old car to another country, Lexi drove quite well. I had also promised one of the organizers, Frank Puma, that I would do my best to attend this event with my Cadillac and support the Club. We successfully crossed the border and attended The Western New York 30th Annual Cadillac & LaSalle Club International Car Show at Keyser Cadillac in Williamsville, N.Y. This meet is sponsored by Keyser Cadillac, a Cadillac dealership since 1959. As usual, they proved to be fantastic hosts. Thank you to Keyser Cadillac as well as the show organizers. Attached are some shots of the show field. It was a fantastic Cadillac day. Nothing compares to taking your car to a meet that is attended by your peers who also own Cadillac cars. Enjoy. Clay/Lexi  \mm/

Jason Edge

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on September 27, 2019, 02:35:02 AM
... or did you just type posts here?
Well, summer this year was June 21 to Sept 23 and I posted to this site 57 times, 6 being CLC Chapter and Region newsletters I shared.   I noticed you shared with the group 71 times in the same time period. Looks like someone had a wee bit too much free time!  Tongue firmly in cheek

Seriously, I'm glad you are getting out there and having fun with your Cadillac. Other than about a half dozen Carolina CLC Region Meet-Ups, the CLC Grand National in Kentucky and the Winter Board Meeting early in the year, I have not been able to get out there like I want to with my 64 Coupe de Ville. After the wife retires next year, and I get a new house addition completed for the mother-in-law with Dementia that moved in with us last year, I see my time freeing up again. It's been a bummer but sometimes life gets in the way.

The good thing I guess is I am keeping the Cadillac connection with my busywork that has sidelined me for the last year since I rely on my 2002 Escalade EXT "Brutus" for lumber hauling at least 2 or 3 times a week through most of this summer.
So.. What did I do with my Cadillac this summer... hauled lumber... A LOT OF IT!!!

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Jason -- I have to say that's a very "classy" way to haul
lumber using your EXT!  I don't think many guys would
actually use it for work!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Highwayman68

So next year you will be able to do the Turkey Run at Daytona Speedway, its a huge show that lasts a couple of days.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981