News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 cadillac horn wire

Started by antony rudd, September 29, 2019, 06:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antony rudd

Hi All
i am in the process  of restoring a a 55 cdv .I have a horn problem so while replacing the steering wheel decided to check out the horn wire  all looks ok at the top but gave it a slight pull not forceful and the wire came straight out not conncected to anything can any one please tell me what it connects to, is it a bush or ? any help appreciated
Tony

55hooptie

Tony, I have done the same thing. The wire is soldered to a bushing. It is fairly easy to pull off again if you are not careful when  reinstalling the column. 

antony rudd

HI 55 HOOPTIE
I CANNOT SEE ANYTHING IN THE COLUMN TUBE ,I DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR TORESOLDER IT BACK ON 

55hooptie

Tony, you have to remove the column. the wire runs down through the center of the shaft to a hole in the side of the shaft just below where the shift linkage connects. The horn wire from the wiring harness plugs to a spring loaded connection. This spring loaded connection rides on a brass sleeve on the steering shaft inside the column. the brass sleeve is what the horn wire is soldered to. When you put it all back together, you have to be very careful not to pull the soldered wire back apart. had to take mine back apart and redo because of this. I hope I explained this clear enough that it will help. I can't find any pictures of this but they are in my shop manual.

Lexi

On the CLC Mid-Century Cadillac Forum there is a lot of info on this, from a 1956 Cadillac perspective. There are photos and much there that I imagine would pertain to your situation. Have a look and search that site. One of the photos showed the column apart. Lots of good information and help there. Attached is one of the topics from that site on this matter. Clay/Lexi

http://midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?topic=528.msg3300#msg3300

antony rudd

excellent all is clear now many thanks for your detailed description i looked through my shop manuel reprint but couldnt find what i needed to xplain clearly. The column is out so hopefully be working over the weekend again may thanks

Lexi

You are welcome Anthony. Just in case you are unaware, the 1955 Cadillac Shop Manual is a 2 volume set. That marked for the year 1955 is a "supplement", which means that you must also have the 1954 Cadillac Shop Manual as it's companion piece. So, both the '54 & the '55 Shop Manuals are required for your '55 Caddy. Can't remember if there is horn info in both, but if you are missing one of these and plan to keep your car; you may wish to obtain both manuals to complete your set. Clay/Lexi

antony rudd

thanks for all replys on this the horn isnow working great a 1" piece of copper tube indented and wire resoldered worked the trick the old brass sleeve had  broken up and horn wire disconnected

55hooptie

Glad to see you got it fixed.
My brass ring was shot also and did exactly the same thing you did to fix it. Works perfect now.

spolij

66 deville Hope i never have to pull the column. :-X

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think these later cars use a totally different method to connect the horn to the horn pad on the steering wheel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon