News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I purchased a 1970 Cadillac today

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, September 29, 2019, 06:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on September 30, 2019, 04:08:28 AM
Also some have a red fuel needle and others have white .
Bill

The story begins with the '69s.  At the start of production, the 1969 models had the "waterfall" or "slide-rule" fuel gauge, with a white needle.  Later in 1969, the "waterfall" or "slide-rule" needle was red.  Still later in '69, the "waterfall" needle was abandoned, and the pendulum type replaced it. These had a white needle.

In 1970, the earlier cars had the carry-over pendulum-type gauge with the white needle.  Later on, the pendulum needle was red.  My 1970 Fleetwood Brougham, built the second week of March 1970, has the red pendulum needle.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

z3skybolt

Well,

I live on a 1.2 mile long private gravel road. I've tried all sort of washing techniques but nothing gets the dust/road grime off my black LaSalle, which is driven about 2,500 mile each year, except a careful bath wash.

I let it dry well before putting it away....but acknowledge that moisture can be an issue.  Don't know what else to do with a beautifully restored car that shows very well but is also driven a lot.

By the way....beautiful 70 Cadillac.  Sorry for the thread drift.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

wrefakis

Enjoy part of an original car is living with a few imperfections and this one looks like a very well cared for car right in my backyard!

I recall your post less than a month back looking for this car in this color and you found it this fast!!!

I have searching for a 70 DVC in Chateau Mauve Firemist Metallic since 1972 !! No hope of ever finding one

I  would suggest detailing and getting to know the car a bit before attempting any spotting because I will guarantee you will not get a color match modern paint to 70 gold.
we were fixing lower front fenders in 73 with factory correct paint and almost never got it right

original cars will have some signs of age and use all of mine do, its part of the cars history

good luck with it

cadillacmike68

On washing,

My car has gotten wet more times by rain than by washing, so it's a fact of life here.

On the positive side it's so hot all the time that it evaporates, sometimes right before your eyes. Of course mine is nmot with original paint or seals, so it's better protected.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Unless a car has heavy caked-on dirt/mud, it's inconceivable to me that a vehicle cannot be cleaned without wetting the car. But it is equally inconceivable (to me anyway) that anyone would operate a vintage vehicle under the type of conditions resulting in that kind of soilage. 

I've owned cars for 10 years or more (and driven periodically) and always managed to maintain the exterior to show quality without ever needing to turn a hose on a car. All my arsenal consists of are a California Duster,  terry cloth towels (dampened as needed), microfiber towels and Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray and glass cleaner.

A friend rotted a perfect front bumper end on a mint '63 Sedan by washing the car and parking it. Water can sit in those front bumper ends for months if the car's not driven!

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

What about a white convertible roof? Twice a year I scrub mine with Spray-9 and water. It's about the only way to get it back to bright white.

Wash a car, then park it? Not me. I have to do a 40 mile cruise just to show off the cleanliness.

I used Kennedy Space Center as a 'long way around' to my destination today. It was a 1 car show at the guard gate. I got thumbs up from people coming at me from a 1/4 mile away. One KSC Police, said it was going to rain and wasn't I worried. I said, 'Heck no. The top goes up, the windows work and the A/C blows icicles'. He said his Camero didn't have A/C.

I salute and drive my Cadillac on through.

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

On the '79, I use a heavy duty cleaner that I wipe on then scrub with slightly wet brush. 

I keep a bucket of water handy with some Murphy's Oil Soap added with a terry cloth hand towel thrown in. Wring the towel out and wipe the roof to remove suds as it forms from scrubbing. Only work a section of the time. (Some vigilance is needed to prevent the suds from running down onto the painted surfaces). 

The oil soap counteracts the acidity of the cleaner while leaving a nice sheen on the roof. Use a toothbrush to get scrub tighter areas. White tops come out like new and never do I get soap on the paint or does it get even get wet.

I should conduct a course on car reconditioning tips!  :D 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

I don't get caked on dirt and / or mud on any of my cars. But this IS Florida and it will rain, often heavily, without warning. And then there are the semi-annual love bugs and all year round insects in rural areas.

So it gets wet. No biggie. But dry cleaning it after a 40 mile drive in the rain doesn't feel right to me, so it gets washed with a hose and car wash and dried.

On a hot, sunny day you can hear the rain evaporating right off the cement or asphalt.  When I wash it, if I don't get to drying it right away it's all evaporated before I can get a towel on all the flat surfaces.

And I either just finished driving it or am about to drive it, so the engine / drive train will get all nice and hot to finish any underside evaporation.

I had the doors, fenders, hood and trunk removed and painted off the car when it was done, so corrosion protection is better than when it was new. 

The car has less rust now than it had over 21 years ago when I first bought it.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike