News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 sedan rear window

Started by MAX GRETENCORD, September 30, 2019, 08:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAX GRETENCORD

I need to remove the window crank and inside door handle.  I rolled my window down and now is stuck down.  The window crank is jammed.  The parts store sell a cheap tool to get the clips in the handles off.  Is this what I need or is there a trick?  Then I need to put it all back together.  Maybe a picture or two might help me also.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MAX GRETENCORD

I went and got one of those cheap tools at Harbor Freight, (actually a kit of 4 for 7 bucks) and tried to use it.  Really no luck as the little c clip did not stick out very far so I tried a small pick on one side and there it went.  Have not found it yet but am sure I will.  The actual problem was that the glass fell off the "X" lift and went behind it down in side the door.  After removing the window and door frames, I was able by loosening the regulator and associated arms of the "X", I got the glass back on top of the riser.  Now I have got to go looking for the the c clips.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

The Tassie Devil(le)

These clips are easily removed with the correct tool.

Plus, the secret of using the correct tool is to insert the tool, and press the clip as far as the tool will allow, then remove the tool, then pull the handle off.

The tool is only supposed to push the clip so far as to clear the spline recess, but stay on the handle.

By not removing the tool before trying to pull the handle off, one runs the risk of getting the tool caught in the spline recess.

Any tool that pushes the clip out so far that the clip drops out, is cut too deep.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   One has to insert the tool from the direction of the long part of the handle.   If the clip is on the other way around, then the handle has been off since the car left the factory.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MAX GRETENCORD

Thanks Bruce.  Heading to the barn to sweep the floor and locate the clips.  I only lifted one side of the clip to get it off.  My next problem is see why the glass fell of of the X frame.  But thanks again.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Bob Schuman

Most auto parts stores have small packages of the clips you need. There are two different wire thicknesses, and I think you will need the thinner ones. They are cheap, buy both sizes, they are shaped identically. It is very easy to lose these when removing them, as you have learned.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

MAX GRETENCORD

thanks for the information......will get on the local parts stores websites.

any idea what keeps the glass from falling off the lift?  Maybe just the left and right vertical tracks in the door window area?  The left and right bracket which are held by 8x32 bolts look like they had maybe a pad or something on them.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MAX GRETENCORD

Thanks for all the help on getting my rear side window glass back in the right position.  Getting the clips back in the handle and crank was easy once I got the clips but they do seem to not fit as tight as the original. They do work though.  I inserted a piece of solid copper wire (10 awg) at the edge of the spring loaded escutcheon which held it down or in, on the same side where the clip was going to be inserted.  Once the clip was in, I simply pulled the wire out letting the spring loaded escutcheon back to the knob/handle.

1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK