News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on spring ring battery cables & woven ground cables

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, October 01, 2019, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

When did Cadillac/GM start using spring ring cables?
When did Cadillac/GM stop using woven ground cables?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Classic

Bob, don't know the answers to your questions.  However, if it helps GM went to side terminal batteries in 1971.  See:  https://www.automotive-fleet.com/147175/new-batteries-for-gms-71s

Apparently, GM went back to top post batteries around 2005.

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

fishnjim

This has come up before.  Someone was looking for some.  So may have to search the posts.   
late 60s-ish seems about right for spring terminals.   All I recall they were a pain and they sold bolt-on ones to replace them just about everywhere.   I think that's one reason, besides weight, that the side posts were initiated.

I do not think they entirely gave up on the flat woven ground straps.   Still in use today.   Unless you mean just for the negative post to frame?   I think that's a 6V pos grnd mainly item, til '54-55?.   The later replacements were regular cable.   '58 is cable.
You'd have to search the part numbers in the part llsts to see when they switched.   I'd do it, but not sure what P/N for the flat ones but the lengths change and P/N may also.

Rockfish39

Fishnjim is right that the '58 NEG is a cable, whereas the  '57 NEG was braided copper.  Probably the last year that was used was 1957

I'm not entirely sure of exactly when the spring ring came, I do know that it's absolutely correct for the 1965 GM cars  My best guess would be they debuted in the 1961 model year.

The 1961 GM cars came with them, pretty sure Cadillac was there too. The '59 and '60's didn't

Hope that helps!   

Rock 8)

russ austin

Corvette restoration shops are a good source for the battery cables.
R.Austin

Bobby B

Bob,
Hi. I have some of these. I believe to be original unused. Maybe someone can verify. Sitting in my shop for as long as I can remember.
                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

Spring ring battery cables first appeared on Cadillacs mid way through the 1961 model year.  There was a Serviceman bulletin issued stating that the use was to begin around March 1st or when current stock was exhausted.

I have it at home somewhere.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

Bob

If you have the lengths for a 70 Eldo I’d buy a set.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

No way,

Give me a regular clamp on that won't work loose after one or two disassembly procedures.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Fins

Show points, Mikey, show points!

My car doesn't lift the front of her skirt. She's not that kind of a girl!  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Good information & thanks to all responders. Here's some pics of what I have. A woven cable 36" long with a spring ring on it. Has 2 holes in beside the hole at the end.  In a Delco Remy 5N36. The box shows fitting 53 & 63 Cadillac's. Anyone with ideas?? I'll sell it for $55 PP.
Bob

Bobby B

Bob,
The Cables I have are a Positive and Negative pair. The Negative is 19" long and the Positive is 28" long. I also have a long one in a box, but it's a repo. Maybe from my Pontiac Days.....
                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark had a spring NEG cable, replaced the entire cable with a better bolt style. Still has the woven ground cable.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jason Edge

I love the simplicity and functionality of the Spring Ring battery cable terminals. They make quick disconnect super easy. (Just keep pliers in glove box or nearby).  The issue/perception with these is most people are more familiar with the old chewed-up variety you find that have been used for 50+ years and are nothing like the strong tight fitting terminals when like new. I'm so use to them on on my 64 Coupe de Ville as seen below, I really hate the side or top bolt terminals found on my other newer cars.  As far as quick disconnects, I always chuckle when I see these fancy (and often expensive) disconnects installed on cars making them look anything but original. I remember my ignition switch went bad a few years back and car kept cranking so I grabbed my pliers, pinched and removed in about 5 seconds.  I also enjoy the fact when I take my 64 to a car show, regardless of type of show, and park in a sea of 1960's GM cars with those aftermarket bolt terminal cables, I can point to mine and tell that 15 year old kid or remind that 75 year old grandpa, that is what the battery and terminals would have looked like new. It's just one of those things that I think stands out when 99% of everyone else has opted for something that looks non-original.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

59-in-pieces

Jason,
Your 64 CDV must have been a labor of love - assuming it was restored - because given the photo you posted, you have a spectacular ride.
A-DA-BOY.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Bobby B on October 02, 2019, 11:15:21 PM
Bob,
The Cables I have are a Positive and Negative pair. The Negative is 19" long and the Positive is 28" long. I also have a long one in a box, but it's a repo. Maybe from my Pontiac Days.....
                                        Bobby
Bobby,
I think they're too short for Cadillac application.
Thanks, Bob