News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

In search of a rear door wire harness

Started by 201Brinley, October 01, 2019, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

201Brinley

Hi, new to the forum, and this is my first post. I just inherited my father’s 2001 DeVille. It made it through the Maryland state inspection. However, there’s one outstanding issue: the driver side rear window does not work. I am told that the wire harness is broken at B-pillar going into the door, so it needs a new left rear door wire harness. Part number is 25707255. The part is apparently no longer manufactured by GM, and the dealership doing the repairs/inspection ordered two parts, both wrong. Does anyone have any ideas about where I can find this part? Thank you.

Adam Glazer
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Welcome Adam, and welcome to Cadillac ownership, if this is your first one.

What I would be doing is removing the short loom and carefully unwrap it, and either repair the broken piece, or replace the broken wire away from where it is actually broken.

This way, when putting it back in, it isn't going to be too stiff where it broke in the first place.

This area is always going to be moving as the door is open and closed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

201Brinley

Bruce, thank you for responding. Yes, this is my first Cadillac. I just wish the circumstances of my coming to own it were different.

The information I have is second-hand because I did not do the repair/investigation ... the dealership did. From what I’m told, wires have been altogether severed. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos to share of the damage. I’ll also admit that I likely don’t have the skills to open up a door and replace or repair the part in question. That’s why I was hoping to find a replacement part to take to a mechanic.

Adam
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Get on Facebook, "The Cadillac Cars and Parts For Sale" page, someone may be able to point
you in the right direction. Also try the "1965-1970 Cadillac Collective", the page owner has an eBay store
with more recent Caddy parts. Good luck.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Adam,

Firstly, Condolences on your loss, and always remember the good times.

Now, with the harness being severed, then something dramatic must have happened.

Someone either had the door off, and was too lazy to un-connect the wiring, or some other event occurred.

Reminded me of a time many years ago (1976) when a fella failed to give way to me, and we collided, me "T" boning him.   He managed to drive the car home, although mine was towed away, and parked it ready for the insurance assessor to call in the following morning.

Later that night, he noticed that the interior lights were on, and couldn't turn them off, so in or to get the light off, he neglected to disconnect the battery, but decided to grab his side cutters and snip the wiring that could be seen through the damaged bodywork.

It got the light off, but sadly, increased the repair cost because now, wiring required replacing.   His car was brand new, and yes, fitted with power windows, which wasn't common down here at that time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

201Brinley

Thank you, Laurie, I have reached out as you suggested.

Adam
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

201Brinley

Bruce, cannot say what happened. The car was not local, so I didn’t exactly have a close eye on it during the past 10 years. But if my research shows that someone can fix the existing harness, that’s fine by me!

Adam
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Adam, You should be able to find a complete loom with little trouble. Punch in Car-Part.com. The site is easy to navigate and you should be able to have one close to you on the way today or tomorrow. True, the part is used, but ...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

201Brinley

Thank you, Barry, I’ll take a look.
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

201Brinley

Sorry to report that I’m having little luck. The latest is that the part in question â€" https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-wire-harness-25707255 â€" must come from a 2001 DeVille. Searching as best I can.
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille

201Brinley

Success? Found the part in East Brunswick, NJ. Being shipped to MD next week. Hoping it really is the correct part.

Verified that for whatever reason the replacement part for the 2001 DeVille must come from a 2001 DeVille ... no other year of the same body style. No idea why.
Adam
2001 Cadillac DeVille