News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 dash illumination

Started by Roger Zimmermann, October 02, 2019, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

The first time I drove into a tunnel with my "new" '72 CdV, I saw nothing at the dash even with the lights on. By playing with the headlamp knob, I could get a very weak illumination.
By discussing with 2 friend in Europe who have also a '72 Cad, they have the same problem, the dash light is marginal at best. Is that situation known and what could be done to have a decent dash light?
I suppose this situation is not restricted to the '72 models; '71 and before may also be affected, later models too.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Same here, I rely on WAZE to tell me how fast I'm going at night.
When I got my 2008 GMC Acadia I thought it was too dark inside the cabin
at night so I changed all the lights in it to LED, now its blinding.
With the Caddy, the headlight switch could be part of the issue, its old and not throwing
enough power to the dash lights. Also 50 years of dirt/dust behind the dash panel, could
use a nice wash to help. As long as I'm there, I'll just replace all the dash lights with LED.

That's a not a priority with me now, but that's how I'll attempt to make it brighter: new
headlight switch, a good cleaning, and LED bulbs.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

I had the same thing, and replaced my dash lights with Narva P/No. 70715  12V 5W globes which are halogen globes, designed for dash lights, and they work beautifully.

I tried to bring them up on the NARVA site, but nothing comes up, so I have sent them an email for more information.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

After what happened when a previous owner put halogen headlights into my car, the chances of
me using halogen anything are somewhere between 0 and -2%. I'll stick with the cooler burning LED.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the reply.
Laurie, the light switch is on my desk, it's looking like new! The car has just 20'020 miles and the inside of the dash is really clean.
Bruce, you may have the solution with those halogen bulbs. If you have more data or a link from your supplier, I would like to buy 10 to 12 bulbs. I don't know if they are sold in Europe, I may import them from Australia!
I will do a search in Google, I may come on the right track. Otherwise, I would tell you. Thanks for the tip!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Hopefully, they will reply tomorrow, as it is after closing time now down here.

But, in the meantime, here is their Application Guide.

https://www.narva.com.au/resources/globe-application-guide

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, no luck with that link. The bulb (or globe) 70715 does not exist in their listing.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, I know.   That is why I have emailed them.

But it does have a good application guide.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Some people are more clever than me when searching something. I got this link from a Frech guy: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/
It seems that they can be dimmed and the heat is not a problem as our plastic dashes are not immune to deformation.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

For those of you insistent on using LED's in dash lighting, please do a follow up as to how fast you change them back to incandescent lighting. They are insanely bright, many are not dimmable and they cast too much lighting into the cabin for safe vision out of the windows.

Been there, done that, put the correct bulbs back into the dash. I like very subdued lighting on the dash anyway.

Get some Deoxit and spray the rheostat on the switch to clean it up.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on October 02, 2019, 05:21:17 AM
Some people are more clever than me when searching something. I got this link from a Frech guy: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/
It seems that they can be dimmed and the heat is not a problem as our plastic dashes are not immune to deformation.

Roger,

Just a note, although the LED bulbs are dimmable for these to work they would require the electronic type dim control, they will NOT work with the older traditional rheostats controls.

You may be able to find a higher CP (candle power) bulb as a replacement, but you need to be aware that the rheostat will be working a bit harder if you leave yours in the dim mode most of the time, just something to considered.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Jose.
I just ordered some; when they are there I will see how they improve or have an exagerated illumination. On all my cars, I have the illumination from the dash at the maximum output, therefore its not a big deal if they don't react to the standard rheostat. And I will report the results, especially for Big Fins!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

I said that mostly tongue in cheek, Roger. The LED's looked garrish in this era of car. It was my former '76 Eldorado. They were very out of place in the way the rest of the car was illuminated with the softer incandescent bulbs. Even in my newer other make vehicles that use the LED's for interior lighting, I like them as low as they will go.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillactim

Roger

The problem may be the rheostat in the switch not the bulbs. When there is a bad connection between the coil and the contacts you will lose brightness and at times no dash lights at all. The 60s and older dash illimination would diminish not so much because of the bulbs but the reflective paint in the housing would fade and rust would not allow the light to reflect enough. But the 70's models had the plastic housing that helped reflect the lights. With no illimination as you say I would first check the rheostat in the switch.

Tim
Tim Groves

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on October 02, 2019, 05:59:31 AM
For those of you insistent on using LED's in dash lighting, please do a follow up as to how fast you change them back to incandescent lighting. They are insanely bright, many are not dimmable and they cast too much lighting into the cabin for safe vision out of the windows.

Been there, done that, put the correct bulbs back into the dash. I like very subdued lighting on the dash anyway.

Get some Deoxit and spray the rheostat on the switch to clean it up.

I live and die by Deoxit, great product. SuperBriteLEDS is 'the' company for these bulbs, its where I get all mine.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Big Fins

I restored my near 100 year old Hammond Organ with DeoxIT D-5 cleaner then followed up with the G-5 Gold protectant.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on October 02, 2019, 02:15:09 PM
I restored my near 100 year old Hammond Organ with DeoxIT D-5 cleaner then followed up with the G-5 Gold protectant.

B3? Do you have a Lesley to go with that Hammond?
The Gold is great stuff.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: cadillactim on October 02, 2019, 10:06:27 AM

The problem may be the rheostat in the switch not the bulbs. When there is a bad connection between the coil and the contacts you will lose brightness and at times no dash lights at all.
Tim, this is why I will check the voltage at the connector to the cluster when I'm that far. The rheostat is looking like new (could however still have an issue) and I doubt it's the culprit.
According to the various comments about dash light I read, it was an issue at that time. As people in the US generally don't make light when they go in a tunnel, it does not matter because when it's getting slowly dark then the eye is adapting to less outside illumination. When the headlamps are on, the light was/is probably sufficient.
To make my tortuous explanation clearer: when I'm entering a tunnel with my 2011 DTS, after a while the dash illumination is dimming and sufficient for the situation. When getting out of the tunnel, it takes a certain time for the light to get back to normal. During those seconds, I see almost nothing especially if the weather is fine.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on October 02, 2019, 03:57:03 AM
Bruce, no luck with that link. The bulb (or globe) 70715 does not exist in their listing.
Roger,

Received the reply today, and they have some left in the warehouse, and the part will be discontinued once stock has been exhausted.

The replacement is not as good as the replaced globe, so I am going to try and buy what they have left.

Bruce.  >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Highwayman68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 03, 2019, 03:47:24 AM
Roger,

Received the reply today, and they have some left in the warehouse, and the part will be discontinued once stock has been exhausted.

The replacement is not as good as the replaced globe, so I am going to try and buy what they have left.

Bruce.  >:D

Did they say why the part is being discontinued? Obviously there is a larger market these days for products like this.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981