News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery

Started by spolij, October 03, 2019, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

How long should a battery stay charged (enough to stat} if the car is not used. A daily driver but not used for a week or so? Nothing on in the car. Garage kept.

Daryl Chesterman

John, the following article addresses your question for a more modern car, and also talks about what to do and not do to keep a battery charged.  The main thing is to have no parasitic draw on the battery while the car is not being used.  The age and condition of the battery will also affect the length of time it will maintain a charge.
A battery will self-discharge on its own--more rapidly if the top of the battery is dirty than if it is clean.  If you don't believe this, you can take a bare battery (no cables connected to it) and using a multimeter set to millivolts, place the red lead to the positive terminal, and touch the black lead to the top of the case, and you will get a reading.  Do this same test on a battery that has a dirty top, and you will see that the self-discharge is more.  To be sure that you have no parasitic draw on a battery in a parked car, disconnect the positive cable from the battery, and using a multimeter set on milliamps connect the leads between the cable clamp and the positive terminal of the battery.  The reading should be zero, unless you have a clock, or a newer car with computers, electronic radio presets, seat memory, burglar alarm, etc., all of which have a slight current draw when the car is not running.

https://www.jcwhitney.com/blog/how-long-can-a-car-battery-sit-unused/

Daryl Chesterman

35-709

Be SURE a trunk or glove box light is not on, also a clock that has failed can also continue to drain your battery if left connected, depending on the type of failure that occurred in the clock. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

savemy67

Hello John,

I have a 7 year old Deka battery.  I have left my car alone with the battery connected for up to 4 months without starting the car.  The car starts easily even though the voltage reads just below 12 volts.  The battery then charges while the engine is running.  That is my situation.

There is probably no precise answer to your question.  As Daryl indicated, age, condition, manufacturer, weather, alternator/generator performance, and other factors will determine your battery life.

The only draw on my battery when the car is not running is the clock.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

35-709

Yes, I didn't word the clock part of my response correctly.  Usually the draw from a clock is pretty inconsequential but some clock failure modes will drain a battery overnight as happened with a '72 CDV I once owned.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

gkhashem

I have one car not stored in my temperature controlled garage and all I do is leave the battery disconnected. It will start the car after sitting that way from mid November to mid April.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Caddy Wizard

If there is no drain on the battery other than a clock, it should remain strong enough to start a car for 2-5 months.  I had one that was only good for about a week or two. Turned out that there was a trunk light that was staying on and killing the 6v battery.  It took a while to find the drain, but once we found that drain, the battery has remained strong more or less indefinitely.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

TJ Hopland

Seems like knowing a year and model would help.   Some years and models have common causes of battery drains.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gkhashem

Also disconnecting the battery saves the clock. The clocks die when voltage drops enough to burn the contacts. (weak battery or very cold conditions)

Another reason to DISCONNECT the battery at the negative terminal. Save your clock if you restored it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

bcroe

As said above there is no one answer.  Batteries start to self discharge
as soon as the charging source stops.  The rate of discharge varies hugely
between batteries.  Certainly disconnecting any load will reduce the loss. 

The fact that your battery started the car after winter does not mean
there was no discharge, just that there was enough left for the start. 
It might be interesting to measure the state of charge after the winter. 
Lead acid batteries do not tolerate a state of discharge well, and a long
time at a significantly discharged state is the most likely way to damage
them, though it may not be immediately apparent. 

I got tired of buying batteries every spring, after failing to take steps
I thought would help preserve them.  I bought enough small battery
maintainers (NOT trickle chargers that can overcharge) to cover every
engine starting battery I had, which included things like a tractor and
a generator set.  No need to switch off or disconnect batteries, just plug
them in.  I have adapted the economical and robust EC3 2 pin polarized
connector (used for model batteries) to most apps, getting rid of those
marginal clip leads.  I included a fusible link in the job, and a dust cover
(extra connector).  Handy for a timing light, etc as well. 

I use dirt cheap Horrible Fright maintainers, but do not kick the plug
out of the outlet, or THEY can run your battery down.  Bruce Roe

spolij