News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

An introduction, to me and my car.

Started by SteveB3155, October 06, 2019, 10:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB3155

I'm 58 and live in the Boston area.  Enough about me, let me tell you about my car.

I have a 1961 Cadillac convertible.  My father bought it for me for my 14th birthday because like the car, I'm a 1961 as well.  At the time, my dad was the GM of Gene Wildes Cadillac/Olds in Plymouth (Now Tracy Chevy/Cadillac).  Someone had traded in the car which had 76,000 miles on it.  1975 was the height of the gas crisis, so people were unloading their big gas guzzlers for more efficient models.  The dealership was only going to junk it, so my father went to the owner and told him he wanted to get the car for me.  He got it for $45.00 (I still have a copy of the Bill of Sale.)   

The car was in reasonably good shape.  There was some rust-through on the front fenders over the wheel wells, the front bumper ends were pretty well shot.  Somebody did a bad Bondo and paint job one of the quarter panels.  There is a crinkle in the rear passenger quarter panel.  The car had a black top, which had seen better days.

We were able to locate better bumper ends, and had the top replaced (with a white top.)  We never got around to doing any of the body work, but since the car has been garaged since 1975 the rust through hasn't spread. 

From 1975-1984, when my dad died, we ran the car on dealer plates.  It was never a daily driver, just a cool old car we'd take out from time to time.   I got the car registered with antique plates in 1989, and would drive it from time to time, but then in 1993 when our first daughter was born, I really didn't have time (nor money) to be tinkering around with an old car.  The last time it was running was 1994. The car remained in my mother's garage on Cape Cod for all this time, until she died this past December, and I had to sell her house. 

Fortunately, when we had an addition built to our house in 2006, it included a 2 car garage that I had built extra long (about 30') specifically to accommodate the 222" long Cadillac.  In June, I had it towed from my mother's house to my mechanic closer to my house.  With some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, he was able to bring the 390 cubic inch engine back to life, and now it is in my garage.  I now have year of manufacture plates on it (same plates that were on the car my folks brought me home from the hospital back in 1961) and I'm slowly starting to address the many minor issues with the car. 

1961 Series 62 Convertible

novetti

54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

What a great story! So many give up along the way. I'm sure you ahd yourcar have many stories for all of us yet to come! Keep posting.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

76eldo

Welcome to the message board and best of luck with your car!
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Lexi

Yes, great story...keep up the fight and keep us posted. Sorry to hear about your Mom's recent passing. Sounds like you had fantastic parents. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's quite a story and thanks for sharing it.

Glad you found the CLC forum and welcome aboard.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

Great Story , open the hood and take a photo of the aluminum body plate on the top of the firewall and we will decode your car for you. Also more photos.

Highwayman68

Wow you have me beat, I paid $200 for my 68 in 81 and I still have it and drive it.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

signart

Thanks for a great story and congratulations on hanging on to the wonderful car. I feel like I could at least double your money when you get ready. You know we just have about ten years left until there is no more fuel. >:D
Seriously, welcome and share more about your car as you continue to enjoy it. There are many experts here on your model willing to help if needed.
Art D. Woody

Brent Hladky #21519

Welcome, Steve.  Always good to hear from others with OCD (old car disease)!  I also have that car (with the same black exterior and white top) and am born in 1961 myself.  You will certainly enjoy having the car at home so you can give it the attention it deserves, and use it whenever you want.

SixDucks

Steve,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cadillac ownership. Your story is a great one! Birth year Cadillacs are great pleasures to own, and even better when it's a convertible!

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

#1CaddyFan

Hi
I was browsing the forum and saw your post. Great story good memories for sure. Keep sharing and show us the 390....wish my 56 had one or any one still in the process of getting it together.
Dan

druby

Great story and welcome to the club !
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Cool story, welcome aboard. I'm in MA too, on the Cape.
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

2manycars

Enjoyed your story, and the photo of your car! Looking forward to seeing more! Welcome to the forum!!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

jaxops

Thanks Steve- great story.  It's really special having a car that connects you back to family, especially your Dad.

The very best going forward!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

cadillacmike68

Welcome.

I grew up in Worcester, but moved to FL some 25 years ago. We're the same age, my oldest Cadillac is a 1968 DeVille conv. I've had it since 1998 so both you and highwayman68 (Mark) have me beat, but my first Cadillac was back in 1979.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike