News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Climate control works .... but

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 07, 2019, 10:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
     Not sure what is going on Here. When driving my car I set the climate control on automatic  and nothing happens for the first 10 minutes after that it works fine .  When  I turn the climate wheel  to 65 the air discharges fro the upper dash vents as it should . When I spin the wheel to 80 the heat is discharged from the bottom as it should . My question is what the ten
Minute delay ?
  Thanks ,
        Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

67_Eldo

Cadillacs of that vintage were extraordinarily polite cars. They wouldn't even *think* of blowing air on an innocent and unsuspecting passenger before that air was good and ready!

There's a master switch (sometimes referred to as the "steamboat switch") in the Automatic Climate Control circuit that is controlled by the engine temperature. If the engine has not warmed up to its proper operating temperature, the system will not turn on.

It's for your own good! :-)

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello 67_eldo,
      Thank you for your quick response .  Your answer makes me feel better . I had a 1970 Cadillac in the 70’s and I can not remember it operating that way but that was a long time ago . As soon as I start the car the vent and the fog and defroster work immediately . If I leave it on automatic   It take about ten minutes or so and works perfectly .  I think I will leave it alone .
   Thank you very much
               Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The 70 doesn't have the steamboat switch.
Flip it to ice when you start it. Does it come on immediately? It grounds thru a temp switch on the passenger side manifold just behind the alternator for heat and the sensor in the dash for the ac. It also grounds when put in the ice position.
Get Cadillac Tim's book. It's great.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

Mine has a delay, but it's not 10 minutes.  My heater turn on switch is not hooked up, there's no wire to it.   I can't recall just now if the hot/cold air is dumped to the engine compartment or if it just blows out the heater ducts.  Eventually, the cold are moves to the dash vents.  My delay may be around a couple of minutes, then the air goes to where it should.  My issue is independent of engine temp.  I notice if I haven't started the car in two weeks, there is a delay in getting cold air out of the ducts. If it's only been a week or less, cold air comes out as it should.

Haven't sorted that out yet, other things to work on.

Be sure to read the owner's manual and shop manual for proper a/c operation - how it should work...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

67_Eldo

I second the thumbs up for Cadillac Tim’s book. If you’re going to mess with Automatic Climate Control, it is a must have.

I said *some* call the 1970 switch a “steamboat.” If you’re searching online, every relevant term helps.

https://www.caddydaddy.com/1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-1973-1974-1975-1976-cadillac-see-details-master-steamboat-a-c-switch-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

76eldo

Bill,

A short delay is normal but not 10 minutes.  As posted if you put it on defog or defrost it should come on immediately.  Possibly the engine temp sensor is bad?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

Quick way to check that would be to pull the connector from the temp switch and ground it before starting the car.  If you have immediate climate control, that is your issue.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

67_Eldo

I suspect that if your car doesn't really take 10 minutes to warm up -- hey, it's possible -- you have one or more tiny vacuum leaks. The more vacuum leakage, the longer it will take the ACC system to build up enough vacuum to close the master switch.

I'd start with at the master switch and work my way out, checking the conditions of the vacuum hoses and connections throughout the vacuum network.

Vacuum switches can leak too. They aren't easy to fix but they aren't impossible either.

Good luck!

hornetball

One other thing, the climate control temperature switch and the engine metal overtemp switch use the same bodies and thread into the same holes in the head.  They have different closing points though.  Would be easy to mix them up.  The climate control temperature switch should be passenger front by the alternator.  The engine metal overtemp switch is driver's rear.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: 67_Eldo on October 07, 2019, 10:14:41 PM
Cadillacs of that vintage were extraordinarily polite cars. They wouldn't even *think* of blowing air on an innocent and unsuspecting passenger before that air was good and ready!

There's a master switch (sometimes referred to as the "steamboat switch") in the Automatic Climate Control circuit that is controlled by the engine temperature. If the engine has not warmed up to its proper operating temperature, the system will not turn on.

Only the Eldorados of this vintage still had the "steamboat switch".  The "delay" function on the others was accomplished by a coolant temperature switch in the RH cylinder head.  It allowed the system to turn on when the coolant temperature reached approximately 130 degrees.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Scot Minesinger

There are two delays built into the Cadillac climate controls.  This is prevent uncomfortable unconditioned air from blowing on the occupants.  One is a thermal switch behind the alternator on head that makes ground when engine is 140'F, and the other is to prevent hot air from blowing during summer when ac is first turned on.  This safety for ac fails easily (after 50 years), and then when the temp warms up after about 10 minutes the system is enabled by the heating sensor behind alternator. 

To resolve this quickly, take the wire that is connected to the sensor behind the alternator and ground it.  Then the both safeties will be removed and your climate control will operate immediately - that is what I do.  The only time this may be a little uncomfortable is if it was real cold outside and it took a while to warm up - a very unlikely driving condition of a 1970 Cadillac. 

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 08, 2019, 03:32:30 PM
... and the other is to prevent hot air from blowing during summer when ac is first turned on.  This safety for ac fails easily (after 50 years)...
Scot,
Are you referring to the "purge door" that dumps the hot, unconditioned air into the engine compartment?

-Charles
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Big Fins

I can start my car and get A/C and heat as soon as it's running. When it drops below 40F, it may take a minute or two to get heat.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
Your car also has an override that starts the AC/fan immediately if the cabin temperature is over 78 degrees.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Right !
There is a temp exclusion that eliminated the delay of its over a certain temp. I forgot about that.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

The 69 and 70 Caddys have the purge door that empties air that would discharge from floor or dash vent into the engine bay.  The door closes when safeties are satisfied.  Since the poster said the climate control works after ten minutes or so, we know the purge door actuator works.  I routinely permanently close the purge door so air is always discharged into the passenger compartment.  Unfortunately the purge door vacuum actuator fails open to engine bay discharge, and it should have been the other way around.

Again, just ground the single wire behind alternator on head and this will be resolved unless purge door actuator fails.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 67_Eldo on October 07, 2019, 10:14:41 PM

This is only when it's cold out and the system is requesting heat. If it is 70 F out and the car is set on 65, it should turn on after a few seconds.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

dochawk

Somehow, all these delays make me think about my '74 super beetle with "dual preheat" muffler in high school.

With an air-cooled engine, it ran air through passages in the muffler to heat for the passenger department . . . and by the first turn, ten or eleven houses away, heat was already coming out . .  (and a few minutes later, would cause the wires on the controls to expand and cut the heat ::) )
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: dochawk on October 20, 2019, 11:22:35 PM
Somehow, all these delays make me think about my '74 super beetle with "dual preheat" muffler in high school.

Oh man, that brings me back. I had a 74 Super beetle as well for about 8-9 months or so. And, of course, it was during the winter. I went to a junkyard and got a blower motor off of something and hooked it up with a piece of scat tubing to the duct under the left rear vent tube. Then I connected a piece of dryer tubing to the output side of the blower. So, I had instant heat. And when the windows began to fog up I would just aim the dryer vent to the fogged up window. Worked great but I bet I looked funny going down the road aiming a dryer vent hose.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille