News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cadillac tri-power literature

Started by dinhnguyen57, October 08, 2019, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinhnguyen57

I do not have a mechanic background but I have a 1959 Seville and I would like to find a book, or some sort of literature, that gives me a comprehensive explanation specifically on Cadillac Tri-Power and all of it's connections and  provides trouble shooting problems.  I have basic knowledge of how a carburetor work but I am in total darkness on the specifics of Cadillac Tri-Power. 

I'be read through all the discussions from this forum and they have been helpful but it's all in bits and pieces, but I want a book that explains thoroughly from A to Z.

Any recommendations on any available books would be very helpful.

-Dinh
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

The shop manual has a section.   
This is for all the 2bbl carbs.   Explains a lot.
'59 is one small base center and two large base ends carbs.  Earlier was 3 the same.   The 390 is a bit hungrier.   
I have some more info down the garage, so I'll try to dig it up.   I think one on tuning/adjusting but don't hold me to that.
There's more to it than just the carbs, but depends what you want to do, or just looking to upgrade your knowledge?   
As far as I can tell, the same cam is used as the 4 bbls.   Stock #s came.   There are some "hot" cams for this, but not in production.   Isky made one, but doesn't offer now.   Distributor has a different advance curve than the 4 bbl but 4 bbl will work, just don't get all the high end HP.

dinhnguyen57

Yes, I want to learn.  My knowledge base  is at the level of doing oil changes, brakes, shocks, but I've never tackled anything more.  I have the '59 Seville but it's almost impossible to start when cold.  Once it's warmed up, it will start immediately and consistently.  My mechanic felt it was electrical and so after new battery, new battery cable, new starter, new alternator....it's still behaving the same.  In the process of sorting out all the gremlins of the car (I've only had it for less than one year), the tri-power has been" rebuilt."  I've been told by a number of different people different things as to the cause of the problem. My suspicion is it's a carburetor problem and I wonder if the carburetor was rebuilt correctly, although I may be wrong.  I simply do not know enough to attack and resolve this problem, thus I want to read up on this and sort this out, although I think it's probably over my head with my lack of experience.  Regardless, it's important for me to learn more about carburators and Tri-Power and be a little more educated so I can understand and communicate with professional mechanics. 

I already have a shop manual and it is helpful.  There's details on taking things apart and installing but much less on trouble shooting problems and explaining the science or engineering aspects of carburators.

To be honest, I'm so busy with my three little kids and taking care of my old parents, I don't really have any time to work on my car, so I have a mechanic work on it.  I don't have any free time to work on it myself, but I do feel a need to understand how the car work and trouble shoot when problems arise.

I feel we really don't own something if we don't really know how it works.....

Anyways, I hope that gives you an idea of the books or literature that i need...rather basic but insightful information.

-Dinh
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

savemy67

Hello Dinh,

An older book on Rochester carburetors is Doug Roe's Rochester Carburetors, published by H.P. Books.  It covers more than the shop manual in so far as it explains the relationship between the carb and other engine components (manifolds, timing, camshaft, etc.).

You may have overlooked it, but at the bottom of fishnjim's post is a link to a pdf file of a Rochester two barrel carburetor manual by United Delco - a service unit of GM.

The '59 shop manual will have the most specific information for your 3 x 2 setup.  The other books will give you broader information.  You could probably acquire a used Rochester two barrel for a few dollars and dis-assemble it while referring to the manual and books.  This might assist your learning endeavor.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

dinhnguyen57

Thank you fishnjim and Christopher.  I've printed out the file and I've ordered the book.  I'm sure that will help me out a lot.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

76eldo

If you do anything on the car yourself a factory shop manual is a must and they are cheap and easy to find online.

You may just need a simple choke adjustment.  Take off the air cleaner or even just the lid.  Only the center carb had a choke and an idle circuit.  They you go to start the car when it's cold, you have to pump the gas a few times and when you depress the gas pedal two things should be happening.  The choke plate should close and the high idle should be engaged on the carb.  Take off the entire air cleaner.  When it's cold, move the accelerator linkage by hand. Does the choke plate close?  If not you need to adjust it.  Does the high idle cam on the carb move to the proper position?  If not maybe it's stuck and needs some lube.

Not knowing your level of auto knowledge, I assume that when you are starting the car you are pumping the pedal a few times or at least depressing it at least once to engage the choke.  In today's fuel injected world if you are just turning the key it won't start on it's own like a modern fuel injected car.

To me, the prior electrical diagnosis does not seem accurate if the car runs well after it's warmed up.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Skelly

If reading up on it doesn't help matters much, attend some cars shows and find out who owns or services Tri-Power Pontiacs (1957-1966).  The basic concept is the same even if the carb linkage isn't set up exactly the same.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

dinhnguyen57

Thank you.  I bought the recommended book and reading up on it now.  That's a very good book.  There were some YouTube videos on carburetors that was also useful. 

I sprayed starter fluid in the center carb and it started up instantanteously.  All the electrical systems was recently replaced, such as the battery, battery cable, starter and alternator.  The fuel pump is also new.  The tri-power was rebuilt within the last 6 months, although I wonder if it was done right.....

I'm told that is just how old cars with the older carburetors are like....but I had a 1959 Coupe Deville and a 1957 Biarritz in the past and I've nver had this problem.

The advice to buy an old carburetor and take it apart and tinker wiht it is a great idea.

1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica