News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Maintenance charger

Started by Jim Miller, October 08, 2019, 06:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Miller

I always put my cars in storage on a maintenance charger over the winter. On my newly aquired 1949, there are two 6 volt Optimas wired in parallel. Will a maintenance charger typically be able to handle two batteries wired in parallel?
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Optimas use a special charger to keep the warranty. I would check their homepage and check. I don't think though they can be charged in tandem, you will need two charges which are pretty pricey for those batteries.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Dan LeBlanc

There is a battery tender available for AGM batteries.  I bought one when I had one in my former 61 and used it for 3 winters with no issues.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

I use a Battery Tender (brand name) on the Optima batteries in my older cars and have for the last 10 years or so with excellent results.
I deeply discharged a red top Optima by accidentally leaving the interior lights on in Big Red, I used Optima's recommended method for bringing it back with excellent results.
I see no statement from Optima that their battery charger must be used to maintain their battery's warranty (see below).  I do see lots of "old wive's tales" already cropping up.  An AGM battery is an AGM battery is an AGM battery.

Like the great tire pressure debate, we seem to hash over the Optima battery on a more or less regular schedule.  I use and have used Optimas and have had great "luck" with them and, at least at this point in time, will continue to use them.   

From the Optima Battery website ---

CAN YOU TRICKLE-CHARGE AN OPTIMA BATTERY? AND WHAT TYPE OF CHARGER CAN I USE?
Yes, and you can use any charger on an OPTIMA battery as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely, the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one-amp maximum current.

WILL MY HIGH-OUTPUT ALTERNATOR DAMAGE THE OPTIMA BATTERY?
No, as long as the voltage is properly regulated. Because the OPTIMA battery has a very low internal resistance, it will accept high current more efficiently than conventional batteries.

___________________________________________________________________________________
"Is it mandatory that I use an OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 or Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer to charge my OPTIMA batteries?

No, but most chargers will not take advantage of the superior performance characteristics of OPTIMA batteries. The OPTIMA Chargers Digital 400 or Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer enhance the performance of OPTIMA and other high-performance AGM batteries, and recover deeply discharged batteries and extend battery life."

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

z3skybolt

Yes a battery tender will keep Optima batteries wired in parallel fully charged.  I have two  6 volt Red Top Optima batteries wired in parallel for my 1940 LaSalle. The BATTERY TENDER(brand name) keeps them fully charged when the vehicle is sitting for a few weeks.  Works beautifully. After a year and half of usage I have nothing but praise for the Optima and the Battery Tender.

I drive the LaSalle often and the old 6 volt system keeps the batteries well charged.  Only use the Tender when away for long vacations, etc.

bob r.

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bob Schuman

Completely in agreement with Bob Ritchie's comments. My maintainers are one from Sears and one Schumacher, both work fine maintaining the two six volt Optimas in parallel.
My cars spend winter storage where no electric power is available. They start fine after 4-5 months without any maintainer use.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

D.Yaros

I have been using a Battery Tender + on multiple vehicles for well over a decade without a hitch.  Do not hesitate to recommend it!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

spolij

Bob  How do you run a charger with no electric?

Also to all I don't know about 2 - 6 volt batteries but there are solar trickle chargers that work fine.

gkhashem

You also need the AGM charger for the Restoration batteries.  Or the antique replicas since they are AGM inside the case.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)