News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Checking motor numbers: ‘58 ??

Started by Rdtreur, October 10, 2019, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rdtreur

Today I was checking my 1952 series 62 coupe to see what I got. I checked the motor number:
58J094582
So I think this is a 1958 , 365 cui motor instead of a 331 cui. Is this correct? Any more info from this number?
I also noticed that the driveshaft is “new/rebuild”. I think this is because the transmission is not the original 1952 but the newer 1958. Is there much difference between 52 trans and 58?
Here a photo of the motor number:
Many thanks, Ramon
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

"58J" indicates the engine is from a 58 Coupe de Ville. With a new drive shaft it's reasonable to assume the trans was also changed. Prior to'56, Hydramatics had a noticeable jerk while coming to to a stop as it downshift 3-2 nd 2-1. Post 56 the "clunk" was not evident but you could hear a change in the whine from the gears as it down shift. Check the trans case for an ID number.
I don't recall when when the dual range trans was introduced but if you have one Drive position and one Low it's original. If you have two Drive positions-one on each side of the "Drive"- it's a latter unit.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ralph,
Dual range Hydros came out in 1952. However... I'm sure the PO installed a 58 trans along with the motor.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

fishnjim

There should be a small metal tag riveted on the drivers side of tailshaft of the trans that will indicate what it is.  May have to clean off the dirt.  If '58, should be a "C" hydramatic.

Rdtreur

Thanks guys,
I will check the trans for a tag. I also noticed that the passenger side exhaust manifold is different on a 1958... so no stock, bolt in exhaust for me . Some custom bent pipes need to be made
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood