News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

4.1L V-6 in a Cadillac

Started by gross707, October 11, 2019, 07:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gross707

There’s a 1982 Coupe deVille on EBay right now whose owner claims that it is motivated by a 4.1L Buick sourced V-6 offered from the factory as an option.  Is this all legit?  And if so, what is that power train like?
Curious,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

MaR

Yes, there were 4.1 V6 powered Cadillacs in that era.

jagbuxx #12944

Yes, it also was a credit option, $165 on the 1982 window sticker.
I worked as a service advisor in Texas when the first V6 came thru for the 1981 model year and we were appalled. It did drive well but sounded like an angry sewing machine when pressed hard.
The listed car on eBay looks to be a very nice example with only 26k miles for a reasonable asking price.
A much better choice than a 4100 V8 in my opinion....
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

35-709

The ONLY choice even WORTH considering.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

BJM

This gives you the only option to purchase the car as the 4.1L V8 has such a poor reputation.  The very fact that it is still here is likely due to the 4.1L V6. 

I would agree with others - you purchase this car because of everything around that V6.  If the car is beautiful, and otherwise a nice car, then just understand it will only be a cruiser.  With all of the inventory of nice Cadillacs from the modern era out there, I just do not include 1981 to 1988 or so in any Cadillac search. 

The 80-85 CdVs are nice looking cars BUT since the 77-79s are so nice looking and in my opinion better looking - I would pass.  That 425 is a well sorted engine.  Just some thoughts

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: BJM on October 11, 2019, 10:33:36 AM
  The 80-85 CdVs are nice looking cars BUT since the 77-79s are so nice looking and in my opinion better looking - I would pass.  That 425 is a well sorted engine.  Just some thoughts

I concur with Bryan.  Tri7 with 425 driveline is INFINITELY better than the V6 of this era which are dreadfully underpowered, have a wonky 4 speed transmission and an inherent vibration due to the technological limitations of being able to dynamically balance a V6 at the time. It would be years later before GM (and others) were able to engineer a truly smooth running V6. Oil pressure issues were not uncommon in the 4.1 V6 either.

In short, a big body GM V6 is the embodiment of everything that was wrong with GM in the early '80s as tried to cope with economic uncertainty, volatile fuel prices and increasingly stringent regulations. Utterly unsatisfying to operate with truly miserable performance, I despise them so much I would even rather roll the dice on a clean HT4100. Run.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As long as you don't try to pull out in front of an eighteen wheeler, and let the car get up to speed at it's own pace, it's not too bad. I drove it to the Lousiville GN and the driving tour as well, and then home. I haven't had any oil pressure issues that I know of. Doesn't use oil. I think it was about a total of 450 miles over all we drove it. (1981 Seville, 86k).
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville