News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rust runs need removed

Started by BJM, October 11, 2019, 10:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

My 1976 CdV which has rust under the vinyl top - not bad but it is there.  I bought it from someone who stored it in the garage.  I let it sit outside one week and I have 2 small rust runs one per side.  It's in the garage now.  Problem is - how do I remove these runs the most efficiently and with the least amount of "issues" post removal? 

I was planning on using a soft clothe and spray some CLR on the cloth then carefully applying to the runs to remove.  Then using some paint protectant on the areas. 

My car is - of course - Cotillion White. 

Dan LeBlanc

Keep the CLR for your household cleaning.

Take a little bit of rubbing compound and buff it off with a microfiber, then follow up with wax.  Suggest doing this by hand as to not cut through the paint.

It will come right off.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

BJM

Thanks Dan!  I will do this tomorrow.  It sounds worse than it is.

Big Fins

I would use a finer polishing compound. The media in rubbing compound may be too coarse and dig into the paint deeper than needed.

I have a well system for yard watering. Florida water is abound with iron. It was getting on my wifes new SUV and staining the paint and wheels. I use a product called Rust-Off, found at Home Depot, for getting rid of the light stains that form on the house and white vinyl fencing. The whole side of the car was a mess. I mixed up a 10-1 ratio and used a pump sprayer to clean off the side of the car. The rust was gone instantly. I washed and waxed it after that.

Put a few drops on a rag and it will remove the rust without damaging the paint. Wipe it clean with a wet rag and dry. Then just put a little wax on the area.

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Skelly

Bryan,

That was a problem when these cars were new, where bubbles appeared just below the vinyl top side moldings on the painted area of the quarter panels.  This happened on one or both sides, so you'll have to remove the moldings and clean the metal. 
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)