News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1931 Lasalle door glass how to hold in channel?

Started by michael1972, October 12, 2019, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael1972

Hi Everyone, I have a 1931 Lasalle I'm replacing the door glass, can anyone tell me how to keep the door glass stuck in the door regulator channel without coming out?

I was told by someone that back in the day they would soak the rubber in the track with wd-40 oil and let it sit over night with the glass in it and the rubber would expand over night and this would keep the glass in the track channel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
1930 Lasalle 340
1931 Lasalle 345A
1931 Buick 91 Series Special Sedan

DaveZ

Hi Mike,
   As far as I know it is a type of oil cloth that when placed in the channel when the glass is pressed in holds it by pressure. Not sure if they used a bedding compound. I replaced a window in our 32 a few years ago and didn't do anything other then pressed in in.  Try Wayne Ellsworth,  email is yachtflame@yahoo.com.  He has restored a few 31's, has a lot of parts. Ask him if he used anything. Wayne is a good guy and I'm sure will help.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Don't know 31-32 window channel but suspect it is the same as late 30's and early 40's.  The glass fits in a "U" channel the is connected to the window winding mechanism.  I always have the glass shop do this.  There is a soft rubber like material they use that comes in various thicknesses so you can get just the right thickness to hold it in tight.  RS&S has this material but to be successful you need to buy all the different thicknesses.  Much easier to have the glass shop do this since they have all the material in stock.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

DaveZ

To what Brad said is exactly what I did. Just have to get the correct thickness material. I think I order two  thicknesses out of the gate so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice. Should be tight with a certain amount of force to get it in. When in it will be tight. My problem is I don't trust shops to work on stuff so I do everything myself.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Oliver Betker

For a more than 10 years younger car, there are corresponding source tape to buy. Possibly it's the same kind of attachment to your car.

On my Cadillac 1946, I took the side windows out of the frame to chrome them anew. For this I put the parts in petrol for one night.
Unfortunately, it was not enough to dissolve the swelling tape sufficiently, so that unfortunately my triangular discs broke during disassembly. It was still the original, so stuck 72 years in the frame.
With more patience and possibly additional heating it would have gone well.
To insert I have used the swelling tape in the picture, and pressed the discs with this in the frame. Before, I let the tape briefly dissolve in gasoline.
I have removed the lateral projections with a razor blade after drying.
The procedure is described manually in my Body shop manuel.
I can copy the page if it helps.
You will find similar tapes in teh internet under the description: Class setting tape
Also some description videos under: Class 4 Classics (there kerosene is used, I think)

I've done it with more gas and swelling time because it took much less effort to insert it than in the video. I was afraid of bending the side window frame otherwise.
1946 Cadillac Series 61 Coupe
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 4door Sedan
1958 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 900
1961 Wartburg 311 4door Sedan 1000
1963 Trabant 500 2door Sedan
1989 Trabant 601 2door Sedan
1966 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1968 Bulldozer T 100 MGP
1998 Nissan Pickup Navara
2015 Ford Ranger Pickup
1978 MZ T 250/1
1992 Harley Davidson Fat boy