News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 CDV package shelf install

Started by bctexas, October 25, 2019, 03:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bctexas

Hi all,

I purchased a new package shelf for my '65 CDV from OPG.  I haven't yet pulled the old one out - I'm wondering how difficult this is going to be.  It looks like the old one is turned up on the rear most edge - the new one isn't.  Anyone installed one of these?  I'm wondering if I would be better off letting an upholstery shop install it.  I have no issues with mechanical stuff - I just did ball joints and strut and control arm bushings - but getting something like this to look right is a skill I'm not so sure I have....

Thanks,
Bernie
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Cadillac Fleetwood

Bernie,

Take a careful look at the new package shelf to see if there are score lines or crease lines where the material should be bent, in order to create the turned-up rear edge. Also you want to measure the depth of the replacement, versus the depth of the original. If they do not match, the replacement will have fitment problems, and should be returned before any attempt is made to install it. OPGI will give you trouble on the return if you have attempted to install it, and there are abrasions, bends, or soilage present.

If you chose to install this part yourself, you will need to remove the rear seat cushion and backrest. The leading edge of the package shelf will have a strip of coated fabric attached, which is then held with glue to the rear bulkhead.  I'm not sure on the '65, but on the '68, '69, and '70, the sail panel or "C" pillar interior trim needs to be removed, which also requires that the rearmost portion of the interior rear quarter garnish moulding be removed as well.  This facilitates a slide-out removal and a slide-in installation.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"