News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 serie62 Foglight/turnsignal bulb

Started by caddy54, October 28, 2019, 02:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddy54

Hi,
I wunder if somebody replaced the fog/turnsignals  bulb with modern bulbs and if so, how did you do that? It´s a very big probleme replace broken  bulbs and very expensive. Thought I could mont modern bulbs.

Thanks
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

caddy54

But hello there, nobody really has had problems with the fog lamps and rebuilt so modern lamps fit ??

This is old bulb, I want replace with modern bulbs.

E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Those original type bulbs are still available from a
number of sources.  I would suggest that you use
the available replacements as they are quite special
bulbs and I do not know of any modern type that
would easily work. 

One source is:
https://www.honestjohn.com/

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

caddy54

Ok, Yes they are special and very hard to replace and expensive.
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

J. Gomez

Quote from: caddy54 on November 08, 2019, 01:53:44 AM
But hello there, nobody really has had problems with the fog lamps and rebuilt so modern lamps fit ??

This is old bulb, I want replace with modern bulbs.

The short answer us “NO” you can’t replace them with LED even if they are made available.

One reason is the dash turn signal indicators get their ground source via the filament from the opposite side front signal bulbs while they are working.

Second the thermostatic flasher will not work when you have no filament resistance in the circuit from all bulbs. If you remember when one of the bulbs is out you get the erratically fast flashing on that side telling you something is wrong.   ;)

The 1026 is a RP11 dual filament pre-focus type with a P15d30 socket the bulb is a 32/32cp. You may be able to use an equivalent RP11 bulb less $$ i.e. 1044 although not with the same cp on both filament 50/32cp (50 is for the fog filament), it is a cheaper alternative.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

caddy54

Thank you Gomez for your advice but I did not think led lamps but ordinary lamps with normal socket that is easier to replace. May I ask for a favor as I am not so good in English that I really understand what you suggested. Can you show in the picture what would be possible to do with the various components. It applies to 12 V and flashers, fog lights?
Thanks in advance
Eilert
E.Bergdahl
North of Sweden

J. Gomez

Quote from: caddy54 on November 08, 2019, 10:04:04 AM
Thank you Gomez for your advice but I did not think led lamps but ordinary lamps with normal socket that is easier to replace. May I ask for a favor as I am not so good in English that I really understand what you suggested. Can you show in the picture what would be possible to do with the various components. It applies to 12 V and flashers, fog lights?
Thanks in advance
Eilert

Eilert,

I’ll try my best, hopefully you can correctly translate this to your language.

The type of bulb you have 1026 in this case it has a special light socket and base P15D30 (I believe Europe uses the P15d terms per the attached document just for reference).

I know twisting these bulbs in and out is a bit of a trouble since if not done correctly the bulb glass can break or separate from the base.

If you are looking at replacing that type or bulb with a more modern alternative you need to do some modifications to the fog light housing to install the new socket. Frankly going this route it could be more complex than just getting an equivalent replacement bulb.

As I mention above the 1044 still available and a fairly easy one to get example from eBay vendors and less costly than the 1026.

I believe there are Europe vendors selling similar bulbs for motorcycles that could be used as alternatives as well.

Hope this helps.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TonyZappone #2624

I am leaving for the winter in Florida today.  I have a complete box of 1026, and will put two of them in my luggage so that I can test them when I get there.  What is a fair price for these?  They are all sleeping in their little paper sleeves.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Roger Zimmermann

Strange enough, I have no clue about 1026 bulbs. I know the 1044 and 1074, but not hose. Are they a later replacement bulb?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 09, 2019, 11:08:16 AM
Strange enough, I have no clue about 1026 bulbs. I know the 1044 and 1074, but not hose. Are they a later replacement bulb?

Roger,

I would guess it was part of the bulb evolution. ???

I found the attach file from Wagner showing the specs on these (see page 30 for the list), you will notice the increase of cp (candle power) between each for the fog side and the turn signal side filaments.

The 1044 eventually replaced the older 1026 as a close equivalent replacement, unfortunately the 1074 was on his own.   :(

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Jose, thanks for that interesting listing!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

I have good stock of the 1074 bulb, these are NOS and the globes have the correct shape so the reflector will snap on it.  Email me if you need more than one.

David

http://www.keepemrunningautomotive.com/cadillac-exclusive-accessories.html
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

TonyZappone #2624

David, I posted that I had two new 1026 bulbs, wondered how much they were worth, or if anyone needed one.  I have heard not a peep
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on November 16, 2019, 02:23:32 PM
David, I posted that I had two new 1026 bulbs, wondered how much they were worth, or if anyone needed one.  I have heard not a peep

Tony,

I would think $25 ea. is more than fair for something hard to find.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Caddieman53

I bought these from a guy on eBay about 10 years ago. They all work. But I haven't had to use one yet!
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine