News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

climate control switch in 67 DeVille

Started by L Langlois, October 28, 2019, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Langlois

My '67 DeVile AC compressor runs when the climate control dial is up to 85, blower on, hot air blowing. The AC works fine.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, L Langlois

Julien Abrahams

Start with the easy things first. Check all electrical connections and and vacuum lines. These are relatively complicated systems which rely most heavily on vacuum. First I would check all the vacuum lines. The blower motor will only come on if that main switch receives vacuum.
The power servo has a sliding rotary valve inside which can warp and lead to vacuum leaks. Check your shop manual on how to remove the power servo and dismantle it. The discs can carefully sanded flat again to make a good seal.
Iam sure others will chime in and Cadillac Tim has a book that describes the system and can help with diagnosing the problem.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

As Julien says, look for the simple things first.  IF the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) system is wired correctly , and the fact that it DID work correctly points to that, I would look for a wiring issue in the blower circuit.  These old contacts and connectors tend to fail, especially at the blower relay. The blower relay itself should be checked. If the compressor is turning on, the vacuum circuits to and from the Master switch are most likely OK, and since this seems to be intermittent a bad connector or blower relay might be the cause of the problem.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

L Langlois

Thanks for the responses. The CC switch seems to be functioning normally now but the compressor runs when I have the dial turned up for heat.  (whenever the blower is on the compressor is on)

That is correct. The compressor operates in both cooling and heating modes. ATC dehumidifies the air and the. Re heats it as required.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

www.eldorado-seville.com

Greg is 100% correct! The shop manual mentions this. Only when the outside temperature is very low the AC compressor will shut off.
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

35-709

Note that the blower motor is designed to run at all times (at low speed) when the ignition is on, even with the ATC is switched OFF or in the VENT position.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

35-709

Wasn't '67 the first year for the VENT position?  Or are you saying the blower motor doesn't blow all the time the ignition is on in '67?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

“Flow through” ventilation with constant fan started (I believe) in 73
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadillactim

Vacuum to the vacuum master switch is cut off on 67 in the Off position . When in Vent vacuum is again sent to master switch allowing blower to run.

Tim
Tim Groves

cadillacmike68

Quote from: L Langlois on October 29, 2019, 01:55:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. The CC switch seems to be functioning normally now but the compressor runs when I have the dial turned up for heat.  (whenever the blower is on the compressor is on)

The compressor is Supposed to run unless the outside temp is below 32F.

The blower fan will not run in OFF. This changes sometime  1971-73 or so.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Clearly the designers (of this era car - '70 included) did not care about fuel mileage / compressor wear or else the compressor would not be engaged when heat is needed.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The compressor operates to provide dehumidification. If the temperature outside is say 60’ degrees and raining, all you would get if the cooling/dehumidification was not engaged would be a swamp by adding just heat.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

chrisntam

Not all cars back in the day had a/c, I don't recall that (the swamp) being the case when the heat was on.  Additionally, I don't think the a/c is engaged in late model cars when in heat mode.

What am I missing?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Remember steamed up windows?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadillacmike68

Exactly correct, Greg.

When it rained a few weeks ago and my compressor would not engage, I got treated to fog city driving home.

Chris,  even current model Cadillacs cool and de-himidify the air before it goes to the heater (if needed), however as of the early 90s the temp cutoff for the compressor has raised to 40F from 32F. The main purpose is to prevent the formation of fog on the windows. Even if it is 40 F out, the cooled air is easily heated by the 200 F temp coolant in the heater core so it's not counterproductive.

That's why, even in AUTO a small amount of air goes to the defroster vents. I can attest to the fact that de-himidified air is necessary.

When it's that cold (below 40), windshield fogging is not a problem.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on October 31, 2019, 07:53:44 PM
Remember steamed up windows?
Greg Surfas

Back in the day, that wasn't from the car's heater.

;)

Back to the point at hand, I guess I don't recall fogged windows (while using the heater).

Greg, you leave me low hanging fruit, I'm gonna pick it...

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Greg is right the compressor is on when the heat is down to 32'F or so to dehumidify.  If removing moisture from the air was not a good idea, Cadillac would have more cheaply added a lock out so when heat came on, compressor turned off.  Correct operation is compressor operates during heat mode except when it is below freezing outside.

1969 and 1970 operated that when the ignition is on, the blower fan is too.  This may be the case for 1967, read FSM
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

For 1967 and 68 if the control is set to OFF, there is no blower fan operation. The 1969s and later had it running to purge the system.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike