News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Beautiful day - Took The ‘58 for a nice ride

Started by Jon S, November 02, 2019, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

64\/54Cadillacking

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

chrisntam

Had my '70 out today, top was up, it was a bit cool.  It too ran well, our cars seem to like mild weather.

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Roger Zimmermann

Nice! The weather here is not so cooperative: wet, wet, wet! Time to give back the license plates back to the government till next Spring!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

That's the Swiss system: I have 3 cars which are more than 30 years old and have the status as veteran vehicles. Therefore, I'm allowed to have just one set of license plates for all 3 cars (in canton Bern, up to 8 veteran vehicles I believe; some cantons may have less or unlimited). If I'm giving that set back, road taxes and liability insurance are stopped until the license plates are reclaimed. As I never drive my old cars during wintertime, it makes an interesting saving even if I never calculated how much.
It's also possible to have one veteran vehicle having the same license plate as an regular vehicle, but in this situation you can't have more than 2 vehicles with the same license plates.
Therefore, for my regular car, I have another license plate set and, of course, another liability insurance and road taxes. Complicated? in one sense yes, but at the end easy to understand.
To make the removal/installation of the number plates convenient, various systems are on the market, some practical, some less. The latest system is a plastic holder attached to the car and the plates are installed between the body and a mobile frame.
The system I have on my older cars is more elaborate, but it has the inconvenient to take some space. When I'm filling the tank from my '72 CdV, I have to take the rear license plate away to be able to open the spring loaded license plate holder.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for the explanation.   I forgot that it was expensive to live in Switzerland, but boy, that is awful, but again, seeing as you don't want to travel in the snow, I can understand.

I took my Eldorado out for a run last week, and as usual;, it was an enjoyable experience, which I must do more often.    Only costs me AU$109.00 to keep it Registered and Third Party Insured for 12 Months as a Vintage Car.   My "normal" car costs AU$660.00

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon