News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 convertible top issues

Started by Caddie62, November 03, 2019, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddie62

The top on my ‘62 doesn’t sit all the way down onto the top of the door glass. About a 1/2” opening on both doors.  Rear glass appears to seal fine. Top rubber is soft and pliable, so it looks like it was replaced at some point. I had a new top installed and wonder if they put too much material across the front that rests on top of the windshield. Is this preventing the top from completely closing? Has anyone else experienced something like this?  Thanks in advance. Steve

Bobby B

Steve,
Hi. First question is did it sit correctly BEFORE the new top was installed? Were the window stops previously lowered from a previous top install and have some room for the windows to be raised that much more to kiss the bow weatherstripping? Why didn't the shop take care of this before returning the car to you?  There's a lot going on with alignment regarding a new top. It takes time, experience, and a little know how on how much tension to get the correct stretch on a new top. I've seen good and bad, tops that don't close when cold, and tops that become wrinkled looking after a few months. A professional shop will usually get it right the first time, and maybe one return trip might be needed after it stretches to look just right.  I do my own tops and it's a lot of work to do it correctly. Takes me about 16-20 hours to get the job done right, and it shows when it's finished. My advice would be to take it back to the shop that did it, and have them take a look at it first. Maybe it's just something that was overlooked. Post a few pictures if you can. Good luck!
       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Caddie62