News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 drag link rebuild

Started by Rdtreur, November 04, 2019, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rdtreur

So I think that now that all te suspension parts ar rebuild, I might as well rebuild the steering parts.
So I need a new idler arm and I want to rebuild the drag link.
So here are my questions:

1: I got it all apart and noticed that I got 3 springs in that drag link tube. All the rebuild kits that I found(ebay, caddy daddy) have 9 springs.
The shop manual also shows 3 springs. Where can I get a kit with 3 springs?

2: I found out that there is no dust shield (thin metal plate with hole) at the pitman arm connection. All the 3 other connections have dust shields. Do i need a 4th dust shield?
Or is there no dust shield at the pitman arm?
Many thanks, Ramon
Photo’s:

R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

Bob Schuman

Yes, there should be a thin metal shield where the pitman arm connects to the drag link, and I believe it is a little longer than the other three. When I bought a drag link repair kit a few years ago that shield was a separate part, not included in the kit.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Rdtreur

Oké thanks. So now I’m hunting for a dust shield ... any other, easy to get , better working options? The old metal dust shield don’t look like they can hold any dirt out off the drag link.
Any ideas on the two large springs and the 1 small spring?
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood