News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interchangeable parts on other brand cars ?

Started by Glaswegian, November 07, 2019, 06:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

I came across a 62 Buick Electra for sale, which was very cheap and noticed the door rests seemed to have same switches for windows and seats as my 62 ! same chrome hardware too !

What other cars share same parts? can we use other parts, maybe brake/suspension items etc? as I guess Cadillac parts will sell for more money than Buick ? so would help when looking for hard to find or missing trim etc.

Maybe you guys know this already, I didn't.

cadillacmike68

Some interior / trim parts will interchange. Mostly the "behind the scenes" things like the power windor switch assemble (the actual buttons like you noticed), inside the door latches, ashtray liners, lighters, power seat motors, etc.

As far as mechanical, there are a lot more interchanges, but you will need a Hollanders manual to check these out.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glaswegian

"Hollanders manual" not seen that mentioned anywhere before! expensive book /worth it ? and so many to pick from from what I saw.

Would love to know what front end stuff I can buy cheaper ! I see kits at Kanter and on Ebay etc from various sellers, but some sellers include stuff others don't and pics of stuff look so different.

Track rod ends, we call them ( might be tie rods? ), some pics show them with short threads and others are twice as long. Moog has been quoted as a good buy but don't see every part and buying individual parts is so expensive ! I get so stiffed on shipping too  ::) My garage said not to buy bushings only as time spent changing and possible not fitting make it uneconomical, much easier to change whole assy. Not seen drag link included anywhere, cost for that nearly as much as all the other stuff combined. Sending wrong parts back obviously hard for me if there are issues, so can't chance anything.

Sorry for the moaning  ::)

Cadillac Fleetwood

In general, the 1961 and 1962 DeVille, Fleetwood, and Eldorado applied front door armrests and chrome hardware and switch gear, were handed down and used on 1963-1964 Buick Electra 225 (with deluxe interior) and 1963-1964 Oldsmobile 98s (with deluxe interior).

The same obtained for the 1963-1964 Cadillac fittings. They, too, were handed down, this time to the 1965 and 1966 Buick Electra 225 (with deluxe interior) and 1965-1966 Oldsmobile 98s (with deluxe interior).

For these years anyway, the effect was the lesser divisions getting the "hand-me-downs" from Cadillac.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

dochawk

I got called over to try to start a '59 Porsche at the recent auction.  I managed (I held the cylinder behind the dash still while turning the key, as it was spinning), but had to stay in it and keep the engine running.

Anyway, I had always known that early Porshe were a VW chassis and powertrain with a custom body and souped-up engine and suspension . . . but the longer I sat there, the more I laughed . . . my father had a '64 VW.  I recognized the door handle and then the window crank.   And a bit or two on the dash.  And the knob on he shifter.   

But the real laugh came when noticed the roof liner:  It was *exactly* what my father's VW had . . .

"hand me downs" run both directions (like giving Oldsmobile the automated transmission for a year before Cadillac "just in case" it was a disaster . . . )

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glaswegian on November 07, 2019, 10:02:00 AM
"Hollanders manual" not seen that mentioned anywhere before! expensive book /worth it ? and so many to pick from from what I saw.

Would love to know what front end stuff I can buy cheaper ! I see kits at Kanter and on Ebay etc from various sellers, but some sellers include stuff others don't and pics of stuff look so different.

Track rod ends, we call them ( might be tie rods? ), some pics show them with short threads and others are twice as long. Moog has been quoted as a good buy but don't see every part and buying individual parts is so expensive ! I get so stiffed on shipping too  ::) My garage said not to buy bushings only as time spent changing and possible not fitting make it uneconomical, much easier to change whole assy. Not seen drag link included anywhere, cost for that nearly as much as all the other stuff combined. Sending wrong parts back obviously hard for me if there are issues, so can't chance anything.

Sorry for the moaning  ::)

Hollanders produced a series of interchange books every year. There was the main one, an import one and perhaps 1 or 2 others. You should get two, one the same year or maybe 1 year after your car year and another 9 years later. That way you can have about a 20 year span of coverage.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

fishnjim

for moaning;
Another source for hard to find suspension parts.   They make new parts.   www.rareparts.com

U R at a disadvantage being off shore, fewer parts yards to source used.   Some of the desert(US SW) yards will ship overseas.   Just make sure you get plenty of pictures before you decide as probably won't pay to ship back, if they'll take back(sales final).   Somethings are just shipping cost prohibitive.  Need to pool owners together and fill a container.   
cf;I looked up cost to domestic ship a crankshaft and it was much more than the part was worth.   
Interchange works better for new parts, where there is a distinct difference in pricing between brands.   You have the added burden of looking for/finding more rare models, if you cross swop used.   

Scot Minesinger

And yet it is surprising how few parts interchange that should.  Working on a 1969 Olds 98, and undercarriage was completely different than a Cadillac of the same year.  The frame, engine, rear diff, exhaust, brakes and everything is different.  A 1970 Buick climate control is different from a Cadillac and etc. - that seems a little over the top in wasted duplicate engineering work.  I guess 1971 much more sensible parts interchanges developed, and maybe in the later 1970's GM went too far and was installing Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and etc.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Blade

Many parts are interchangeable among GM cars in the early years (I'm sure it's true to the newer ones too). I have sold Caddy parts to Chevy owners, some Olds and Buick parts can also be used in the Cads, they're the same parts just put on a different car --  that's how the bean counters try to save on manufacturing cost. Best to check with either the seller/buyer or other experts to be sure it's exactly the same but you'd be surprised what you can find!