News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gear shifts on a 62

Started by Glaswegian, November 07, 2019, 06:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

I am new to these cars so have zero experience of what they should drive like when all is good.

We have 2 D positions on the gear drive indicator, I use the first one when changing from the P position ( left to right ) that should give 4 gears? Yes ? and the 2nd D should only have 3? Yes?

I can't really feel/hear any change bar 1st to 2nd, very smooth afterwards and no indication the engine is straining, reving higher when driving around 50 -60 mph. Is this normal? should I feel/hear 2-3-4.

Sorry if this daft question but as I said no idea what is correct for these cars. Modern cars I drive usually have rev counters so you see the drop too.

Thanks for any replies  :)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Use the left drive position for normal driving.

Trans shifts out of first gear almost as soon as the car is moving. It's in first only for a very short time and is barely perceptible. Low position will limit shifting to first and second gears. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

1-2 and 3-4 are shifted through fluid couplings.  You shouldn't feel them.  2-3 is about the only shift you feel.  Under very light throttle, you should be in 4th by 25mph - the key is very light throttle - subtle pressure on the gas pedal.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Glaswegian

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on November 07, 2019, 11:41:24 AM
1-2 and 3-4 are shifted through fluid couplings.  You shouldn't feel them.  2-3 is about the only shift you feel.  Under very light throttle, you should be in 4th by 25mph - the key is very light throttle - subtle pressure on the gas pedal.

Thanks Dan, maybe the gear change I feel is the 2-3 then if what Eric said is on the money, the 1-2 is more or less immediate. I have never, yet, floored it at anytime, very gentle driving as no seatbelts and sitting on wrong side for driving here.

;D

Glen

The second D position prevents the tranny from shifting into 4th  and provides engine braking.  Something that is helpful when descending long steep grades.  Helps to keep the brakes from overheating. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104