News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cracking Driver Side Armrest

Started by SharkwestNYC, November 07, 2019, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkwestNYC

My 1989 Eldorado has an L-Shaped crack in the rigid molded vinyl driver's side armrest.  Any suggestions on how to stop and repair the tear will be greatly appreciated.  I have no idea how how to correct this problem.  I'm thinking a small piece of clear Gorilla tape might stop the tear from getting any larger. 

Thanks,

Rich

spolij

The tape would probably stop the crack from getting worse. If your handy, it's not hard to strip off the vynil and recover it.
Or you can take off the armrest and have it done profesionally.

fishnjim

Be careful, some of these "cheap vinyl" era are molded one piece.   Probably best to find a replacement.   Dye - if not color match.

Once the foam is damaged, it needs to be replaced/filled. 
There are repair kits available, but results vary by individual.

The dash board people grind off the surface, fill or replace foam, re-surface/shape, and apply new covering.   Search - most have pictures.

spolij

66 DeVille mine weren't cracked i just wanted them to be leather. The vinyl wasn't glued to the foam just to the frame.

gkhashem

If you found the right guy, maybe you can fill in underneath with some new foam. Then get someone to do a vinyl patch on the crack.

But you would need to find an artist.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Go to www.car-part.com

Follow their directions and you should be able to obtain a correct part that you can spray the right color. (Or have it done.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville