News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What's your favorite line used by a potential buyer when you're selling your car

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, November 14, 2019, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

Just for humors sake I decided to start this thread since I'm still juggling potential buyers for my 57.  What's your favorite line used by potential buyers for your classic?  Here are at least a few of mine:

1. "Whats the lowest you're willing to take?" (without even seeing the car)

2. "Can I make payments on this?"

3. "Will a collection of rare stamps and 5,000 cash work?" (Or offers for other odd items)

4. "I saw this same car sell for much less so I think you should bring your price down" (again without seeing the car)

What's your favorite line?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

60eldo

Jon. Klu

harry s

I always like the guy that seems really interested and as negotiations progress he says he "let me check with my wife". The best retort to that from the seller is to say "let me check with my wife to see if it's OK to sell to you". I know it is sexist and the retort will get you in trouble and blow the sale but it is tempting to say when you hear that exit strategy.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harry s

...or low ball offer. That's a good down payment how would like to take care of the balance?
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Dr. John T. Welch

Q:  Yeah, but the book says this car is only worth .....$$
A:  I've never seen a book buy a car...have you??
John T. Welch
CLC   24277

WTL

When I'm selling a beater on facebook, already priced low, and I get a random question like "bottom dollar?"

They cant even form a sentence, and think I will immediately drop the price like 45% just because they typed 2 words?  Is that negotiation or an attempt at ferreting out desperation?

TJ Hopland

The 'will you take payments' is especially amusing when your advertising the car for say $1000. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Lexi

rich neary

When faced with the buyer who makes a silly low ball offer I usually come back with a price HIGHER than my original asking price.  ;D
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe

Say the price is, say, $10,000 - buyer asks, "Can you do any better?"

My response- $12,000 would be better for me.  ;D

Scot Minesinger

This is a good thread.  Generally I'm selling lower priced cars that have past their useful life IMO.  Or the car was inherited from a relative and it is on the lower end of general used car prices.  I advertise and schedule all of the test drives and visits fifteen minutes apart, such as Saturday at 2, 2:15, 2:30 and etc. and that way I'm not too inconvenienced if there are 50% no shows.

On the phone, I always say the person who brings me the cash gets the car.  No agreeing to a price and then it falls thru and the car is off the market.  Also, I tell them if we agree on a price and you bring slightly less than that, like we agree on $2,000 and you show up with $1,800 I absolutely will not sell you the car even if you give 10k, maybe 100k then ok.  It just speaks to your word is your bond.  It is made clear to all potential buyers, this is no BS, you are either buying the car or your not and payment is cash.  Usually I under describe the car too, that way when they see it, it is sold.

Since I talk about the rules first, there is usually not too many silly buyer questions, but they do come up:

1.  "Kelly blue book says your car is worth $200 less than your price".  Then go buy it from Kelly Blue book.
2.  "Will you take a little less?"  Sure, I always have to ask more than I want because people feel uncomfortable paying the asking price.  But, no stupid low ball offers.
3.  "I have a cashier's check for a little more than your price".  I was not born yesterday, good bye.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Many years ago I was trying to sell a 1968 Chrysler for $500. One guy told me I should cut him a break because he had seen a way nicer one for $900. I am still trying to figure that one out.

TJ Hopland

Lets say the going rate for this model in good working order is $5000.   The one you have for sale needs a transmission and to have a shop do it costs $2500.  You clearly say in the ad that its got a bad transmission and that is why you are only asking $2500 for what would otherwise be a $5000 car because of the bad transmission. 

Guy shows up and says how about $500, its got a bad transmission you know and I will have to fix it.   

The other one I like is when they ask for money off because they have to ship or transport the car to wherever.    Its not my problem that where you choose to live and where you shop for cars isn't close. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

harry s

I was looking at a '41 Series 67 parts car, no engine or trans. The sell wanted $500 and was pretty convincing when he said, "if you offer less I'll junk it". So I paid it..   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

chrisntam

Seems like we have about 10 guys that pay asking price.

What do you say when you're buying a car?

::)

Do you just take it at asking price or do you "support" your offer based on what is needed for the car?  That's negotiating.

In order to "get", you have to "ask".  That's my world anyway.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

A friend of mine had done a deal to deliver a rolling chassis for an old, and reasonably rare car, to an address, in another state.   After arriving at the destination, and preparing to offload, the buyer tried to beat the price down, knowing that the seller didn't want the problem of where to put the chassis after bringing it so far as he had another car to bring home.   This resulted in the seller, refusing to budge.

Following a sort of an argument, the seller started to drive away, with the chassis still on the trailer, with the buyer then agreeing to pay the aforementioned agreed price.   

The seller without hesitation, refused, and drove straight to the local recycler, and whilst he waited, the crane picked the chassis up, and dropped it into the shredder, which totally shredded the complete unit, engine, trans, diff wheels and tyres and frame.   Everything, into little bits.

My mate said that it wasn't pleasing to see it crushed, but, principles are principles.

That was over twenty years ago, and I don't think the buyer ever finished his restoration.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Wow, that's rough.

Your buddy has courage, but for ruining (somewhat) valuable parts.

The buyer (hopefully) learned a lesson.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas