News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Consumer Reports ranks Cadillac 30th in reliabilty when compared to other makes

Started by chrisntam, November 14, 2019, 09:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Just saw this on usa today dot com.  Consumer Reports ranks Cadillac 30th in reliability, here's the link:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/14/consumer-reports-auto-reliability-study-2020-vehicles/2578463001/

Apparently the ranking is based on consumer feedback.

At least we're better than Fiat.

:P
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wrench

Lol, actually Cadillac was dead last, Fiat was second to last.

20 degrees this morning, I started my SRX with the remote control and thought it would be nice and toasty as I left for work. But nooo, the car was an icebox. Seems the old diverter door was stuck closed and no air in the cabin. No defrost, no panel no foot. CUE system fault. Lol. Too late to switch to one of my other 6 cars so I figure heated seats and steering wheel will get me to work...

About 15 minutes into the ride, the system came alive and worked fine for the rest of the day.

I have to say I spent most of those 15 minutes cursing GM and Cadillac and I swear I will ever buy another modern caddy.

This survey is right on.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

dinhnguyen57

If you ask taxi drivers what are the best cars, you almost always get the same answer.  “Never get a Cadillac because they will break down by 60,000 miles, but a Lincoln Tien Car will last for 500,000 miles.”  “The worse cars are BMW.  We always see them on the side of the road.” 
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

64\/54Cadillacking

That’s pretty bad! Last place!? I would like to know more of the specifics on why their vehicles are having problems. Is it tech or drivetrain related?

GM did terrible as a whole.

The Town Car was reliable because that platform was around since the 80’s. But Fords electronics back then was garbage and unreliable. HVAC problems, power seat and window failures, and other odd ball stuff that went wrong. But as far as it’s drivetrain yes Fords Panther platform was solid. Obviously if GM didn’t abandon its RWD D-Body platform it would have been a whole different ball game. IMO GM’s RWD platform was more robust than Fords Panther. And at least you didn’t have to worry if the windows, door locks,  or seat motors weren’t going to work or the blend door actuator was going to take a dump on you. Never had any of those issues in my 94 Fleetwood Bro.

I never thought I’d see the day when a Hyundai product would be more reliable and luxurious than a Cadillac. :o
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like the people that produced the listings are lovers of everything Asian, and some European.

The Asian manufacturers were the first to offer every conceivable extra at no additional cost, making the vehicles cheaper than everyone else, and perfecting the cars before releasing them onto the general public.   Plus, they got it right, because with paying low wages, they could afford to produce a superior product, and admit when they got it wrong, and do something about it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Our '06 Toyota Avalon is marching along just fine at 121k miles, no real issues, everything functions as is should.

Had the Cadillac XTS been rated higher by owners and those in the know, I would have traded in the Toyota for the Cadillac, but thankfully, I don't have that car in our driveway.

Sad.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadman56

Sad to hear about Cadillac.  I was going to get an XTS until I started reading the forum and other reports.  Thankfully I didn't get it.  We purchased a 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring instead.
My 91 Brougham with 200+K miles on it still performs like new in all respects.  We will drive it to the Kansas City GN next year.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

fishnjim

These things are like polls, depends how they ask the question and who they ask.  There's no uniform system to rate reliability in autos.   What difference does reliability make if you trade it off every year or two?   Up time and cost per mile even have inherent biases.   So it becomes a marketing tool as well. (eg:JD Powers sez!)   If you have a lousy reporting system, you look better and spend less on it.   Cad has this silly exhaustive satisfaction rating system. 
As attested here, people connect price/brand with reliability and there really isn't one.   A lot of manufacturers use common part suppliers, so less distinction now.  It's how the parts are made and their design life.   Price is mostly what the market will bear interrupted with a bit of cash flow enhancement.   Cars are designed to price points, now.
You won't get 500K miles without frequent oil/parts changes and lube, regardless of brand.   If there was, fleet managers would be buying exclusively one brand.   The record million plus mile car was rebuilt several times.   So go figure who's telling whom what about reliability here?   If you want more reliable, buy diesel ($), not gas.   (LPG/LNG is better too. ($$)   They're made to go farther.   
I'm fairly confident that they all have problems and it's more a function of how they treat you for the fix than the issue, who pays, and how it's reported that affects perception of the manufacturer.   Another factor is the driver and how well it's maintained/how driven.
The GM brands are trending toward nearly the same now, just little sheet metal and trim changes, aka platforms, not the innovator Cad division leadership role it once carried that built the standard of the world brand recognition.   C'est la vie - changes over time.   Always more difficult to recapture the lead, than get into the lead.   Enemies accumulate.   One bad apple spoils the barrel.

Big Apple Caddy

Cadillac has been at or near the bottom of Consumer Reports reliability reports off and on a number of times over the years (in good/better sales years and bad/worse) but I don’t think CR has been particularly influential for a while, at least when it comes to automobiles.  Mercedes-Benz has seen low rankings in CR but has maintained its status as the luxury brand leader, as far as U.S. sales, during these times too.

Five years ago, CR’s 2014 reliability survey ranked Cadillac 18th and Mercedes-Benz 24th.  Mercedes-Benz U.S. sales that year were already higher than Cadillac was ever able to achieve here in its entire history, and still increased 5% in 2015, another new record for Mercedes, and increased again in 2016 reaching yet another record high for the brand.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: fishnjim on November 15, 2019, 09:39:34 AM
What difference does reliability make if you trade it off every year or two?
Resale value but most importantly reputation. Think about it--. If you tell people you have 150k on an Accord they smile and say it's just getting broken in. If you tell people you have 150k on a Malibu they ask you if it has needed any work. It's sad, but that is reality. So of you have an "American' car you are more likely waiting for something to break. If you have a Honda/Toyota you are surprised if it does.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac Jack 82

When you see old Escalades being used to haul landscaping trailers or equipment you know that Cadillac has fallen down a bit.  Seriously if Cadillac wishes to continue to be considered a luxury brand they need to up their game.  All I see when I see a new Cadillac is an overpriced Chevy with features that don't really matter to me.  I'd like to see Cadillac use the new C8 Corvette to make a sport coupe that might be able to compete with various other high end coupes.  Throw a V10 in there, redesign the exterior with some aggressive trim, and keep the price around 80-110k.  Oh and another thing...please redesign the Cadillac emblem...it looks like a 4 year old designed it and his dad brought it into the design team at Cadillac and said "BEHOLD! Our new emblem!"
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I know of someone who once used a rough 1959 Cadillac as a pickup with the decklid removed for hauling lawnmowers around for his grass cutting service. Cars wind up getting used in virtually limitless ways when at the end of their useful lives.  At this point the make of the car is basically irrelevant. 

Cadillac had been criticized as an "overpriced Chevrolet" by Cadillac baiters for decades. I rarely bother responding to such talk. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Jack 82

Eric I'm sorry but the Cadillacs of today don't offer anything near what they used to.  Just my opinion.  It would be nice if they came equipped with something better than the 4.2L V8 they put in the V models.  I'm also not impressed with the styling. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

wrefakis

70 Fleetwood CADILLAC EXCLUSIVE engine, rear end and transmission
20 Escalade CHEVROLET powertrain and its been that way over 30 years
I have here today 2019 XTS and ESCALADE
Collected Cadillacs for 45 yeas
drive 05 town car with 387K
Why?
it drives like a Cadillac used to

chrisntam

1) Has Cadillac been playing defense for many years thus is getting passed up in quality? 

2) Has Cadillac been given marching orders by the General to cut expenses and increase profits, which is cutting into quality / engineering and styling?

Something has been happening for many years, it'd be interesting to know WTH is going on with the brand.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

G Pennington

Admittedly, Cadillac quality has suffered over the last few decades.  The reasons have been debated endlessly in this forum and elsewhere.
But before anyone gets too depressed, please remember the source.  Consumer Reports has been dissing American cars ever since I was in high school (50 years ago).  Their rating system is hardly scientific... they ask their subscribers opinions instead of using an objective sample of owners.
Kind of like asking CNN to evaluate Trump.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

jdemerson

Quote from: G Pennington on November 15, 2019, 09:07:32 PM
Admittedly, Cadillac quality has suffered over the last few decades.  The reasons have been debated endlessly in this forum and elsewhere.
But before anyone gets too depressed, please remember the source.  Consumer Reports has been dissing American cars ever since I was in high school (50 years ago).  Their rating system is hardly scientific... they ask their subscribers opinions instead of using an objective sample of owners.
Kind of like asking CNN to evaluate Trump.
Gary,
   Not so sure about that...

Full disclosure: I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for many years. I don't always LIKE their findings, but I think they provide objective reports of what owners say about their own cars -- and most of us don't want to be negative about the cars that we ourselves own and drive.

• I subscribe to CR, Car and Driver, AutoWeek (just gone out of print), Road & Track, and Automobile. Although I enjoy reading some of the others more, I think that CR is by far the most objective.
  • I'm a big fan of the current CT6 sedan, especially with the new Cadillac-designed and built V8. It is a stunning car, and a new CT6 competes easily with the newest models of competing luxury brands. But what about 3 or 5 years down the road; will it be more reliable? Although reliability may not be a major factor in selling new cars, it is a factor, and it's definitely a factor for me.
  • Certainly, evaluating the reliability of cars is a challenge and is messy. What published source of such evaluations is more trustworthy than CR? Where do they get their objective data? For example, is JD Powers a better source? If so, are their conclusions very different from those of CR?
  • The comment about CNN may be well-taken. I don't need CNN to tell about our President; I know all I need to know from what he himself says and does -- day after day, month-after month. I'd urge that we keep him out of the messages on this valuable, informative, and wonderful message board.
Some years ago, GM launched a major effort to upgrade the quality and reliability of Buick, using comparison with a certain well-know luxury brand from Japan. It did meet with some success at Buick for a number of years. As a Cadillac fan, I hope GM might do something like that with Cadillac. Cadillac was the best car in the world when my '52 was made. And I hope that Cadillac will be successful in the market place for decades to come.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X   
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Bill Young

The new Cadillac Crest Emblem is perfect for the Cadillac of today ( or what passes for one ). Just like the Car it is attached to it lacks detail , imagination and style. Walk around taking your time examining a Cadillac from the 1960's for example and you will be amazed at all the deft little touches everywhere on the Car. Each one of these Cars was as individual as each Human Being is an individual. The new Cadillac's are cookie cutter examples of the current thinking in Automobile architecture , build an appliance that is designed to go a certain number of miles before it's systems fail and it is disposed of. Cadillac is living off the remnants of a reputation hard fought for and won by Engineers and Stylists who Designed and built Cars that are a distant memory to the General Public and  ( To quote the Author of Cadillac of the sixties  Roy Schneider ) Coveted by A fading generation.

David Greenburg

x2 as to what Mr. Emerson states; he beat me to the punch. CR’s criteria for evaluating new cars may not reflect your or my particular priorities, particularly with regard to performance cars. But their assessments are at least objective, which is more than you can say about the for-profit publications.  And the reliability info, based on their reader surveys, is separate and apart from their new car evaluations.  As for bias against US cars, I disagree.  They consistently love quality cars built in the US, like the Accord and Camry, and have no trouble going full-tilt negative on foreign makes when they think it’s justified.  Just ask Audi, Suzuki, or for you old-timers, Subaru, whose foothold in the US was pretty much ruined for 10 years when they rated a late 60’s Subaru “Unacceptable.”  Their reliability data may not be perfect, but it’s the most reliable source I have found, and is pretty darn consistent with what I hear in conversation with other car geeks as well as owners. And most of the late-model Cadillac owners I know are not happy about reliability, even if they otherwise like their cars.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

64\/54Cadillacking

I believe in the 50’s all the way into the late 60’s, Cadillacs were considered the best built, most valuable luxury car brand from CR.

That suddenly changed in the 70’s. Although Cadillac was still dominate, Lincoln finally was able to build a car that competed with Cadillac in terms of quality and ride comfort.

As time went on, cost cutting measures took place in the 70’s, even if the drivetrains were bulletproof. The interiors were cheapened, lots of little things weren’t made with the same kind of quality as the 50’s and 60’s Cads.

The Cadillac of today is sort of like a lost puppy out on the streets trying to find its way home. The brand can’t find its way home, and doesn’t have an identity anymore. With the lack of any real exclusivity and continued drivetrain sharing of other GM brands, consumers are seeing right through the hype.

Remember, there was a time when a Cadillac was a Cadillac, and everything in it was it’s own. The engine and transmission, the interior and quality, the exterior trim and bumpers, it’s suspension, it’s wheelbase, it’s size and luxury features including where it was made, is what made a Cadillac, a real Cadillac.

Today with all the parts sharing, I understand that GM is trying to save money, but they will never ever being able to give Cadillac what it deserves until they put serious funding behind the brand.

As for its quality, the increase of plastic parts due to the EPA regulations and increased fuel economy standards, it has crept into many automakers vehicle models. Ever watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube? He knows a lot about cars since he’s been a mechanic for over 50 years and he even says the increase in use of plastics from everything like thermostat housings, plastic fuel rails, to plastic intake manifolds are actually reducing the lifespan of newer vehicles which won’t last as long as some older models that didn’t use as much plastic. BMW is one of the worst offenders BTW at this.

Plus with turbocharged 4 banger engines powering everything from sports cars to trucks, they too will wear out faster than regular naturally aspirated engine. The added strain out onto such a small engine is never a good thing long term.

Maybe GM will realize how dismal their ratings are and do something about it. But honestly with the UAW ratification and increase pay raises and health care cost that GM will have to endure, I don’t trust that they will put any extra money into quality control and reliability in the next few years. As labor cost is going to crush their bottom line, and cost cuts are going to have to be made somewhere and that will most likely be in its vehicles.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞