News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Importing a car into the US.

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, November 16, 2019, 05:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
It seems that foreign governments make it extremely hard for people to import cars from here. I feel they are hard lining the people & acting like there's some kind of fraud going on. Asking for documents & frame stampings that don't exist!! They may be doing that to the lady in New Zealand.
What does our government do?? First hand experience comments are best.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jay Friedman

I don't have any recent first hand experience importing a car into the US, but I did export a'32 Ford from the US to New Zealand 7 years ago.  The US customs authorities at the seaport, Long Beach CA, from where it was to be shipped required proof of ownership of the car by the exporter (me) in the form of a title.  Problem was my state, Georgia, does not issue titles for cars manufactured before 1965, even though the car had been titled in Illinois before I bought it.  The only ownership documents I had were a current Georgia registration certificate and the old Illinois title signed over to me.  With some difficulty (4 hours wait in an office) I managed to get a statement from the Georgia motor vehicle authorities that they did not issue titles for 1932 cars like mine.  I then typed out a bill of sale which included a notarized sworn statement that the car was indeed mine and that it was not a fraudulent sale.  The car then went on a truck to California and then left on a ship for NZ in a container.  Upon arrival, the buyer in NZ reported he had to pay expensive customs duties to his government, but other than that there was no problem. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

INTMD8

I've brought in 2 from Canada.

Used a customs broker for both. 

One had shipped.  Customs required a letter from Ferrari stating the car met your emissions and safety standards and had to pay an import duty since it was not originally a US delivered or US built car.

2nd was a Charger that was originally a US car. Was able to provide documents proving that so no import duty. 

I brought that in myself and took me about 4 hours to get through customs. Not fun.

Roger Zimmermann

Should not the title be "Importing a car from the US"?
Anyway, I had no problem importing my '72 CdV from the US to Switzerland. In fact, I let do the work from a man importing cars from the US on a regular basis.
In Switzerland I had to pay import duties based on the weight and value. The same man did also the work to license the car; it went without problem, even with the speedometer in miles.
Edit: I do remember I had to supply a copy of my pass to the US customs. I'm attaching the title with the stamp os the "Vehicle export team". Just in case this car would come back to the US, this paper will allow the new owner to have less or no problem.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Don't you mean exporting from the US and import into a foreign country?

1. The title/registration rules were different, state controlled, pre-'64 Federal title law and most everyone, hence, adopted the new unified system, so the old ones often just don't fit today's paperwork.   Caveat Emptor.   One has to know what one is up against here for smooth sailing.   Penalties are higher when you cross state/country lines.

2. There has been an uptick in cross continent auto fraud via internet with natural disasters, auctions, etc. people arrested.   A clear title is a minimum to stay out of jail, no longer a guarantee, in some cases.   Could be flood car, etc.   

eg: My own state has no category for a "series 62" coupe.  You must check "coupe de ville", contrary to the VIN, if you have a pre-64 coupe.   Imagine if I tried to export that car???
Also, GA had no titles at all.   I had to apply for a new title here for a GA car which means inspections, etc. and that manuf. didn't use VIN codes.  It was held up by the state for months.  I had to stay on top of it.   It was non-running, so I had to trailer it for inspection.  (Another state I lived in, they sent a policeman to you for VIN checks and you needed two such inspection certificates.)   Manuf. had they're own ID system with body stampings, as they used a coach builder, and people often confuse the body number from the true vehicle identifier on the trim tag.  ie, exactly opposite prevailing GM, et al.   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Most of you are missing my point. I want to know how the US customs handles cars coming INTO the states!! Are they asking for frame VINS that never existed & other hard line requirements?  Then we can do a comparison as to how some other countries handle cars coming in. I'm not so concerned about American cars coming back as that little RHD MGA or an early Ferrari or an early VW.
Bob

76eldo

I have experience in bringing in a car from Canada.  There is a big difference if you are transporting the car yourself as opposed to having a commercial transporter do it.  If done as a private purchase its a simple stop at the border.  The car was never inspected, they only looked at the bill of sale and Canadian title.

As far as exporting cars through the port at Newark, NJ and a container facility in Elizabeth NJ, you need a photocopy of the title (original goes to the export company) and 6 copies of the "dock slip" which is basically a bill of lading.  They will examine the car and match the VIN on the car to the VIN on the title and dock slip.  If the car does not have a VIN plate on it or a frame stamping that is legible you will have a problem.

The exporting authority has to see a visible VIN number on the vehicle.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I'm not interested in hearing about American cars coming from Canada or anywhere else. I'm interested in non American cars coming in from the other side of the pond. I'm not interested in the exporting of cars either. Again... I'm  trying to see how our customs treats imported cars.
Bob

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Bob:

There are many possible answers to your question
due to the complexity of the laws.  It would help to
know, for example, if the car you are wishing to
import is 25 years old or more.  If so, the EPA
regulations do not apply.  Also, it does matter if
it is an American car that was produced here,
imported to Europe and now would be reexported
back to the U.S.  Cars may have a customs duty
accessed of 2.5% (depending on these factors).

Will you be the owner of the vehicle when you import
it?  Customs will need to see proof of ownership (title)
and other information before releasing it.

There are firms that do the shipping and customs
clearance and associated paperwork to insure that it
arrives safely and within the law.  You can Google this
and get a better idea of costs and what's needed.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 17, 2019, 05:54:53 PM
Guys,
I'm not interested in hearing about American cars coming from Canada or anywhere else. I'm interested in non American cars coming in from the other side of the pond. I'm not interested in the exporting of cars either. Again... I'm  trying to see how our customs treats imported cars.
Bob
Seeing as cars you are referring to are not Cadillacs or LeSalles, then it has nothing to do on this Message Board. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mike,
Thanks for the great response. I'm not importing anything. Just trying to do a comparison in customs laws.
Bruce,
I can't use Cadillac as the incoming car because as Mike pointed out, it would be American goods returning. A slam dunk! I promise as soon as I get at least 2 responses on importing cars, I'll make some comparisons. This is all in response to the horror stories that overseas people post on this board regarding Cadillac's.
Bob

dochawk

We need *more* restrictive laws to stop these fur'ners from snatching up our Precious Cadillac Vehicles!

:P
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

David King (kz78hy)

As noted already, the time span matters.  I don't know if is 25 years or not, but whatever that number is, it has to older than that.  Otherwise you CANNOT bring the car into the US.  All cars imported have to meet US specifications and that is for emissions and crash/safety.  That is why cool cars available in other parts of the world are not seen here.  If a non US car is found, it can be seized and crushed.

David.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

fishnjim

Last I looked New Zealand isn't in the USA?   
We have google, etc. for looking this up or call to customs.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

INTMD8

David, yes but it can be imported if it's a model that was sold here and the manufacturer provides a letter stating it meets EPA and DOT standards.

Roger Zimmermann

The next nightmare: what about a US vehicle which is exported and adapted to European regulations?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 01, 2019, 11:37:56 AM
The next nightmare: what about a US vehicle which is exported and adapted to European regulations? 
I would say that it all depended on what the export build removed, or added, from making it compliant with USA specifications.

I visited the Bowling Green plant where export vehicles were intermingled on the production line, and the guide pointed out that the export models were fitted with Amber Indicator Lights, and knowing what is involved, there would have been a change to the wiring at the rear to allow the Amber lights to flash without the red tail lights flashing at the same time.   (I have to do that conversion when converting cars to RHD for Australia)   But, these cars were destined for LHD countries.

Bob tried to import a Holden Utility into USA, and even though the Holden Commodore came into USA as a Pontiac, and a Chevrolet, the Utility could not.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

The modifications for export are not limited to the amber rear lamps and wiring. Glasses, lamps, safety belts must be E approved for export in Europe, plus other things like noise regulation and emissions which are different compared to a domestic vehicle.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101