News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 coupe deville

Started by BROOKLYN59COUPE, November 17, 2019, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROOKLYN59COUPE

is there a company out there that sells 59 Cadillac bright white bayonette type dash bulbs ? for the dash cluster,, thanks ...

The Tassie Devil(le)

What do you mean by "Bright White" globes.

The normal ones are clear glass, and as bright as can be for the wattage they have built in to them, and are only 2 Candlepower, but there is no conversion from Candle Power to Watts.

I have some 5 Watt Halogen globes that are the bayonet type fitting, and these are bright.   But, they are not cheap at AU$10.00 each.

Not sure when GM went from Candle Power to Watts in their specifications, but if it was known, then comparing the year prior to the year later for similar useages, then the comparison could be made.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

You could convert them to LED bulbs if you don't think the OEM bulbs are bright enough.  The following Ebay site shows some possibilities.  You are aware that the brightness of the instrument cluster lights can be made brighter or dimmer by turning the light switch clockwise or counter-clockwise?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Caddy-BRIGHT-White-12V-LED-Instrument-Panel-BA9S-1815-Light-Bulbs-1895-NOS/270972588266?epid=27019040184&hash=item3f173990ea%3Ag%3AoLoAAOxyOM5RZkYF&fits=Year%3A1959%7CModel%3ADeVille%7CMake%3ACadillac

Daryl Chesterman

The Tassie Devil(le)

But you have to have the correct bulbs.

Those ebay bulbs will not fit.

Put LED bulbs in the wrong way, and they won't work.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Daryl Chesterman

Bruce, could you please explain why the Ebay bulbs will not work?  They are the same base as the OEM bulbs,
BA9S.

Thank you!
Daryl Chesterman

The Tassie Devil(le)

Aren't the correct bulbs this type?

The ones in ebay are socketed globes.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

fishnjim

These shown are newer pin type bulbs with an adapted twist lock.   If the twist lock fits, it should "work" just not OEM.
I believe there's two different period twist lock sizes, as I got some that were the wrong size for my dash, but the correct bulbs are(were) available.  What they lacked in lumens they made up for with numbers.   I don't recall the bulb numbers/suppliers.   I'm up the house, info in garage, and it's raining right now.   I'll post info, if no one else does, later.   Bulbs should be in the parts list, and can search by bulb number.

If lights are burning but dim, could also be the boards are deteriorated.   These are early "circuit" boards and the contact strips are large, the mask flakes off, and prone to corrode/delaminate over time, adding resistance.  The twist lock contacts are exposed normally.

ps: FYI.   There are conversions for converting watts to lumen, by type of lights.  It's dependent on the type of light, incandescent, LED, etc. not a direct energy to light conversion.   aka, conversion efficiency needed.

BROOKLYN59COUPE

those aren't the bulbs I have ……. I have the bayonette type bulbs , just an old fashion looking small round head bulb

Big Fins

The bulb number is #53. They can be bought on Amazon in an LED version. Whether or not they are of a dimmable type is unknown.

What Bruce is showing is a #194.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

59-in-pieces

Ol'fishn guy is correct.

The twist bases did come in 2 sizes - 1/2" & 5/8" depending on early or late production.
Also that peanut bulb shown - the OEM bulb had a base and if memory serves there is only 1 bulb that was used with that shape with the rest being spherical-round all with bases.

There is a company (my memory is shot right now) - and others maybe - that sells a package of all the bulbs, interior and exterior, for your specific model 59 along with a list of where they go and numbered bags.
I have used them and have given other bulbs to them to add to their list because some cars have more or different accessories which require more bulbs, like my Eldo Biarritz.
But if you can't find it, post and I'll start digging.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Daryl Chesterman

Caddy Daddy has bulb sets as listed in the website below.  Scroll all of the way down to the bottom of the listing.  The pictures are representational only.  If you click the "details" button, it will tell you what bulbs are in each item.

https://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts.html?cat=1080&prod_year=493

Daryl Chesterman

spolij

66 deville My dash lights are plenty bright. I turn them down at night because you see the exterior existing light better. It's also less distracting.