News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 steering gear box repair

Started by timer2, November 17, 2019, 06:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timer2

Looking for a reputable business to rebuild my '61 De ville's steering gear box. It's number 5687962, a 3 hole mounting unit. Last time I drove the car it started leaking,  and it always had an occasional growl but not steady. The pump is sound, I suctioned the old fluid out when I bought the car this summer and kept it full but now the leak is too bad to ignore. I'd like to keep this box but will core it to a company that can replace it with an exact fit. If it weren't for the growl, I'd contemplate sealing it up with a kit, but I think there's more going on than just the seals. I've taken the box off the car and have found a couple places (Lars Corp.) that sells re-manufactured but I'd like more options if anyone has one or two.  Thanks  T. Irvin

savemy67

Hello Terry,

My '67's steering gearbox is the same casting number as your gearbox.  Feel free to read about my rebuild of my steering gearbox here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.80

starting at reply #82.

If you are at all handy with a wrench, you may want to consider rebuilding the box yourself.  Lares Corp. may do a good job, but there is nothing like having original parts.

From where is your box leaking?  Since GM made millions of these boxes, I would think that any reputable firm selling rebuilt units would have an exact fit replacement for your car.  You can by a rebuilt box from suppliers like Summit and Rock Auto, but be aware that variations exist with these boxes.  Before sending in your core (if that is how you proceed), talk to the vendor to make sure you will get the same ratio and number of turns, lock to lock, in the new box.

respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

timer2

Thanks Christopher, very good write up on your rebuild. The leak is by the rag joint but it's the growling that has me a little concerned. I've called around and found no rebuilt units available at the local auto parts places, just new and they're expensive. I called the Lars Corp. directly and they'll rebuild my gear box for a couple hundred bucks and they're only about an hour and a half drive from my house so I may take mine down there and if they have an identical gear box, I'll swap them. If not, I'll have them rebuild mine. I don't trust buying over the internet ....i need specific spline counts and 4 turns lock to lock. Thanks   T. Irvin

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

cadman56

Lares Corp. rebuilt the steering box on a 56 Cad convertible I restored many years ago.  They did a great job and the box performed flawlessly.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

timer2

Thanks Larry, I'll be dropping it off at Lars Corp. tomorrow. T. Irvin

jerry freeman

my 61 series 62 had a leaky box. I got a rebuilt from BAP (buyautoparts.com) $149 after core return.  BUT  after bleeding air out of the system my steering wheel stops turning after half a turn in either direction and becomes VERY hard to turn.  Bad Box??? something else?