News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 Sedan Deville Weather Stripping

Started by 73 Sedan Deville, November 19, 2019, 11:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73 Sedan Deville

Hi all, new member to the forums, have lurked before in trying to solve my own problems but this one has me stumped. I Just recently purchased a beautiful green on green with a white top 73 sdv and noticed the back rear facing window seal is leaking slightly in one corner. For the life of me I can't locate a replacement seal, does anyone know where to get one?
P Richmond
1998 Deville (grave yard)
1995 Fleetwood Brougham (grave yard)
2003 Deville (Sold)
1966 Deville Convertable (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

The Tassie Devil(le)

These windows are glued in.

Be aware that when the glass is removed, and best done by a windscreen shop, you could very well have to deal with some horrible rust issues.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

73 Sedan Deville

Thank you very much. I think the leak is relatively new in the cars life ,I imagine when they re-did the vinyl top way prior to my ownership they must of either left the rear window alone or re-glued it down and it's finally given up the ghost. The area around the rear window seal at least on the exterior from what I can feel has no bumps, humps or rice crispies as well as no weeping from the lower portion of the top.
P Richmond
2003 Deville (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

chrisntam

New forum members are "required"  ;)  to post pics of their rides!  Lets see that beast!

8)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

73 Sedan Deville

I was planning on it, my current pride and joy.  ;D

The story behind her is that she's a one family owned in Mass. The original buyer bought her late model year in 1973 and owned her until 1978 when he passed where it went onto his brother who owned it until earlier this year when he passed from dementia where it then moved to his daughter. From what I've been told he'd take it out for short drives every now and then and when he could no longer drive, others in the family would take him out in it. From the looks of things the only thing not original on the car is the vinyl top (easily spotted since its the wrong grain but correct color) and a repaint done at some point in the original factory Dark Forrest green metallic.
The only things really wrong or in operable on the car are the radio lights up but plays no sound, the interior lights don't come on at all (dash lights work but are nice and dim), someone disconnected the seat belt buzzer for constantly being on, and some weather stripping in the roof rails needs replacing and the auto climate controller is lazy and was bypassed so it can just blow either heat or blow cold from the a.c with a manual switch over, as well as the washer fluid likes to constantly blow out with the wipers on.
Now the real awesome part of this is that the car has original 66k miles and is just about as factory stock as you can get, sans some missing floor Matt's and a trunk liner.
So far she has been the most reliable and comfortable car I've ever been in or driven.
P Richmond
2003 Deville (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville