News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 cad deville headlight high beam problem

Started by 1969cadillac, November 22, 2019, 05:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

Hello! - I need advice on yet another problem with my 69 deville ..

The headlights on my deville wont go to high beam

i installed the guide-matic system in this car and it worked for years - no probs

I have the system switched off at the moment - but still cant get the lights to go onto high beam

i have a 69 limo with the same system and have been borrowing parts off it!! ( the system works perfectly on the limo !)

I swapped over the power relay  and the foot switch - no difference - still wont go to high beam !

After looking at the wiring diag in the shop manual i wonder if i have an earthing problem somewhere.....

any help would be appreciated!

actually!! - i just noticed that there is a 4 amp fuse inline to the power relay - i will have a good look at that

Murray Mules 

cadillactim

First make sure foot switch is grounded. Next check that power alternates from lo beam to high beam terminals on footswitch as you activate switch. If power alternates okay check to see that power us getting to hi beam terminals on lights and also check the grounds at the hi beam lights. If power does not alternate at grounded foot switch unplug green wire at footswitch (opposite if the other three wires).  If hi beam work then or does not alternate issue is footswitch.

Tim
Tim Groves

wrench

Look, I’m no expert but two basic questions:

Does the Brights tell tale light come on and no brights, or no tell tale and no brights?

Also, remote possibility that over time both bright elements have burned out and it’s a bulb issue?

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX