News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 SDV Netrual Safety Switch

Started by 73 Sedan Deville, November 25, 2019, 11:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73 Sedan Deville

Quick question here I have an issue with my backup lights not coming on in my 73 SDV, its neither the bulbs nor the fuses as I just changed those over today and still nothing (that fusebox is no easy task especially with ancient probably factory fuses). I was wondering where the location of the NSS is to see if I can't see if that's the problem or if its elsewhere. I don't know if anyone else has had these problems and could share some insight. Also if anyone knows of a good wiring diagram that would be fantastic.
P Richmond
1998 Deville (grave yard)
1995 Fleetwood Brougham (grave yard)
2003 Deville (Sold)
1966 Deville Convertable (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

Scot Minesinger

The NSS is at base of steering column before it penetrates the fire wall.  You can loosen the clamp that holds it in place (adjustment) and with car off and ignition on twist NSS slightly and if the back up lights illuminate than you know it is the NSS adjustment.  Put the switch back where it was.  Installing these switches the most sensative adjustment is the rev lights.  I would first check the grounds, that is the most common reason those rear lights fail to illuminate.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

73 Sedan Deville

Thank you so much for the advice, do you happen to know where the bulbs ground out on these? I pray it's just as simple as that.
P Richmond
2003 Deville (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I don't remember if 73 was a one year only switch or a part year change thing.  I do remember they can be hard to find.   What usually fails on the switch is the plastic electrical/vacuum part of the switch falls off the cast main body that clamps on the column.    Its sort of crimped on with small fragile tabs off the casting.   On a few of them I have dealt with I was able to drill some holes in the cast part to allow me to use nylon zip ties to hold the plastic part of the assembly in place.    I did that to mine 20+ years ago and its still holding.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

73 Sedan Deville

So it does look like it's the switch, crawled under the dash again tonight and found it loose from where it should be tucked into and the wires for the reverse lights un-plugged and connected to them selves via a small pronged wires together. Plugged it back into the switch and tried to move the switch itself back into where it should be. Attempted to start the car and acted like it was dead. Reversed the setup and unplugged the reverse lights and put in the self made connectors and the car started right back up. At a total loss of what to do right now, so any advice would be helpful. Also under that dash is tight enough as is lol. I'll see if I can't get any pics in the morning of what I'm talking about.
P Richmond
2003 Deville (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

klinebau

I made a post a while back on how to restore the NSS (http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=150245.0http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=150245.0).  There are pictures which will help you understand what is going on inside the switch.  If you want to remove the switch, the factory service manual contains the procedure.  As I recall, it recommends putting the transmission in neutral before removal.  You may not need to rebuilt the switch, but this may help you understand how you can reposition the switch which may help with the problems you are seeing.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

73 Sedan Deville

Thanks for the info on the rebuild and I'll definitely follow it closely, I saw elsewhere about the crimped tabs as well and that they easily break. Any advice
On adjusting it once I pull it out and rebuild it.
P Richmond
2003 Deville (Sold)
1973 Sedan Deville

TJ Hopland

If you have help you can put the trans in R and have someone tell you when the lights go on and off. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

klinebau

With the tab centered in the NSS (you should be able to see where the shear pins would have lined up), start by installing the switch as stated in the manual (the transmission should be in neutral).  Check the operation of the switch.  The car should not be able to be started in gear (use proper safety precautions), but should start in park or neutral.  Also check the operation of the backup lights when in reverse.  From there it is trial and error unfortunately.  You can rotate the switch a little clockwise or counterclockwise to see if this improves the situation.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

cadillactim

I have rebuilt neutral switches. You can contact me at tagroves@wctel.net or call me at 864-348-7732.

Tim
Tim Groves