News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79 SDV: Choke staying partly closed

Started by wbdeford, November 30, 2019, 03:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

After replacing the fuel filter, my choke is staying partly closed and engine stays on fast idle.  I manually opened it, slowing the idle speed, but as soon as I opened the throttle slightly, it returned to partly closed.  Next try, it stayed open.

Is it possible I did something during the filter replacement that would mess up the choke?
Other likely causes?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

Did you re connect that vacuum line you disconnected?  That may have been for one of the brakes/pulloffs.   

Other than that I don't think anything you did would have disturbed the choke.  Its electric and the heating coil is in that round black cover on the passenger side of the carb.  The linkage for the choke blade and fast idle is all that stuff between the round heater housing and main carb body.   Its all made of fairly loose fitting flimsy appearing stuff that all works off gravity so it doesn't take a lot of crud to make things stick.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 30, 2019, 04:05:39 PM
Did you re connect that vacuum line you disconnected?  That may have been for one of the brakes/pulloffs.   

Other than that I don't think anything you did would have disturbed the choke.  Its electric and the heating coil is in that round black cover on the passenger side of the carb.  The linkage for the choke blade and fast idle is all that stuff between the round heater housing and main carb body.   Its all made of fairly loose fitting flimsy appearing stuff that all works off gravity so it doesn't take a lot of crud to make things stick.

I forgot to mention that I disconnected and reconnected the choke wire...perhaps the connection there was flaky.  There was one vacuum hose I forgot to reconnect at first, but reconnecting it did not immediately solve the problem.  I drove the car a few more times yesterday and the problem didn't return, so I think I'm good for now.  Thanks!
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

I seem to recall that the contact tab on the choke element wasn't made from typical contact material and tended to rust so that may be where your issue is or was. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

That is definitely where I will look if it happens again.  I like the electric choke.  I added one to my 58, since the tube up from the exhaust manifold is long gone.  It works really well.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville