News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac Tahitian coral paint codes

Started by Leif2000, December 10, 2019, 02:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leif2000

First. Thanks for all the really helpful stuff on this forum.

Disturbed a 58 Series 62 sedan at it's resting place in Wyoming, The plan is to take it out of retirement, and back on the road. The car is alpine white over Tahitian coral. My problem (Well there is many) but, with the car is the paint codes..

When I go to my paint guy with the ones I can find for Tahitian coral (PPG: 70841 Dupont: 2812H,202-92004), he says it's no good, he don't have any cross reference numbers for new paint. He mentions to bring a part to "measure" the color. But i'm not sure my car even is original color.

So my question is : does anyone have some modern "codes" for the paint.

And I'm looking for them all. The Tahitian coral, The Alpine white, and also the Kenya beige metallic that the inside trim is painted in..I'm not trying to restore this car to a 100% factory, just somewhat close..

Any help/input is appreciated..Thanks

1947 Cadillac Series 60 Special Touring Sedan
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Six Window Sedan
1963 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1971 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
1973 Cadillac Calais Coupe

goob

J. Gomez

Or you can check the old DuPont Color library link here is the link -> http://historicalcolorlibrary.axaltacs.com/hcl/

Maybe your local paint shop can use the old formula to mix a batch.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Leif2000

Thanks for the quick reply..

Not sure how I missed TCP global in my search.

They have what I need..

Thanks

novetti

The chrome on that front bumper looks incredible
54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

kkarrer

You can go to autocolorlibrary.com    They have the original paint formulas and can mix in base clear or single stage (lacquer too but I wouldn't recommend it).  I used them several times.
Best of luck,
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
1932 All Weather Phaeton

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

They do not mix to the formulas in the old color chip books.  They hand match them to the chips in the book while at the same time keeping track of the toners used to develop their own formulas.  For the next order of that same color they have the formula and the help can mix the paint.  Generally interior colors are not chipped so they do not have a way to mix those.  They mixed a 1949 CDV interior color (Nimbus Gray) for me.  I sent them an original piece of the interior to match to.  In the future anyone can order this color from them since they now have a formula for it.  They have a business model to provide these old colors. I takes a huge investment to match all these colors but over the years they have developed a lot of formulas.  I suspect that this is working because there are certain colors that are a lot more popular than others so there are repeats.  In other words after a period of years you will have all of the formulas for the most popular colors.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jon S

The chrome bumpers look fantastic!  Were they replaced or RE-chromed?  They look out of place to the rest of the car. Just curious.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Leif2000

Hi.

Thanks for the reply

Talked to TCP Global, and they say they can mix the coral color, but unfortunately the smallest amount was one gallon..and with all the fixings, we are talking close to 200$ for a color I have not seen...
My local paint guy took a stab at the color, and I think it's pretty close..

I might have to track down another caddy and compare the color...The one mine is painted in looks way to pink, compared to the paint chip page I have..

Eastwood have a coral color that also looks somewhat close...

But I think I will try to find a 58 painted in the coral, and compare to paint samples. If anyone knows where one is located that would be helpful..

As for the bumper I'm not sure what the story is.. the car has been hit on the passenger side, front fender and the bumper does have a few scrapes and bumps..But the shine sure is there...

fishnjim

I wouldn't worry about it, use what you like.  Get a nice paint job and it'll stand tall. 
Even if someone thinks they know the true color, he's my age or older with failing eyesight, memory, etc, and won't be able to tell!    Even the OEM paint chips aged.   

The paint today is not the paint of yesterday anyway, so who are we kidding?   The pigments, solvents, additives, and polymers are different.   Probably wouldn't like the original if you saw it.   That's a non-favorite of mine, like most pastels, but very 50s.   
Alpine white is plain old bulk TiO2 gloss white, and there's plenty of vehicles that use it even today.   Can match with most rattle can whites.   Olympic white has the tint.
If you're worried about $200 for a gallon of paint, just semigloss clear over the old finish, call it patina, and keep the rust down.   You certainly won't like the cost of restoring.

Leif2000

Thanks..

That's properly how it's going to end..Just find a color that I like..

I was not so much balking at the 200$ price...more the 200$ paint, that I'm not sure if I like the color..

The one my local paint guy mixed up looks nice..I'll shoot a patch on the car with it, when the weather gets a little warmer up here..

Thanks again 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys, regarding the Chrome... that's western chrome. You see the difference between that & rusty crusty salt belt chrome, right?? Amazing.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.