News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 Cadillac headlights -- 6-volt sealed beam halogens? Need advice

Started by jdemerson, December 17, 2019, 10:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

I'm doing some work on my '52, but am quite ignorant about headlights in a 6-volt car.

My original headlights are fine, but I'd like brighter lights that shine further down the road. Whiter light would be fine, but based on discussions here I'm NOT leaning toward LEDs even if they were available. I'd like the glass lenses to resemble the originals in style/texture. I'm not considering a switch to 12-volt.

My preferences (if available):
6-volt 7-inch sealed beam that are plug-in replacements
halogen (most likely)
OE style glass lens

1. Is the above available?
2. Is the gain in projection and brightness worth the change?.
3. Manufacturer?  (I checked Sylvania, but they seem not to have 6-volt halogens.)
4. Recommended supplier?
5. Other advice?

Thanks in advance.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

goob

A company called LEDLights.com (clever name!) offers 6 volt headlamps but they do look different...6 volt halogens are also available...best way is to search on line...with the halogens you'll want to run a relay to relieve problems with the headlight switch...and the halogens also look a bit different compared to a stock sealed beam.

Gary

bcroe

Decades ago I was driving huge miles, largely at night.  I experimented
with headlights and learned a few things. 

The most important things are keeping headlights well aligned, and
always clean.  Clean them more often than filling the gas tank. 

Halogens were such an improvement, I stopped experimenting. 

Do check that your bulbs are receiving full voltage, which may be
affected by your wiring and your charging system. 

4 headlight systems are good because the high beams can be set to a
very long reaching height, while the low beams are set not to offend. 
Some of my high beam bulbs were of questionable legality back then,
still have that aircraft landing light.  Bruce Roe

Dan LeBlanc

Just thinking out of the box here, but what about installing a relay harness to draw the headlight feed directly from the battery rather than through the miles of wiring and headlight switch?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

If voltage is a problem, find the point the voltage regulator senses
charging voltage and connect your relay harness there.  Do not take
the ground path for granted, any significant loss there can be cured
by returning lamp current through a heavy wire directly to the engine
block.  Bruce Roe

Bob Schuman

I recommend the six volt Halogen sealed beams as a considerable improvement over the original type sealed beam headlights. About two years ago I bought a pair at my local NAPA store, Wagner brand #H6006 for my 49 CDV. As shown on the box, they were Chinese made, and Wagner was a part of the Federal-Mogul conglomerate.
A local friend installed a headlight relay on his six volt 41 Cadillac and noticeably increased the brightness of the lights, so that also may be worth considering. I have no details on the specific relay he used.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

tripwire

Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Caddy Wizard

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Art, that LED setup is for 12-24 V though, he has a 6 volt cor.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Caddy Wizard

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

jdemerson

Thank you for so much excellent and timely advice, and for the several URLs. I've used all to gain some background and to explore options in some detail.

I've ruled out LEDs, although I do appreciate their pros. I prefer brighter lights than stock, but maintaining near-stock appearance. So I will get 7-inch round Halogen bulbs, 6 volt, 40/50 watts, #6006H.

I'm choosing between Eiko and Octane Lighting for the brand. In both cases I'm in touch with someone who is very helpful and seems knowledgable. Any advice about this choice is still welcomed!

I will try it without the relay harness, as I have a strong 6-volt battery with an excellent ground (following previous advice from Jay Friedman and Art Gardner). But I'm open to adding the relay if it appears needed.

Thank you to all!
John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn