News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958: Front bumper removal

Started by wbdeford, December 28, 2019, 06:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

The shop manual says only 6 bolts--3 per side, need to be removed to remove the bumper.  I couldn't see any way to do it without removing at least 4 (I removed 5).  I thought maybe there was a misprint, so I checked my 57 and 59 manuals....57 is the same, and 59 says only 2 per side!

Anyone know what 3 bolts per side will get the bumper off, or is the manual wrong?

These are the 5 I removed.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

signart

Not that familiar with this model, but of the perhaps numbering in the hundreds of other front & rear bumpers by now that I have removed, normally they are unbolted from the frame with the brackets still attached to the bumper. The brackets can then be separated from the bumper. Usually 3 bolts each side.

I just saw this, but I think it's strange that someone has not given a response before now. :-[
Art D. Woody

fishnjim

If you want the whole assy off, take off at the frame support brackets - back behind what you removed.   Otherwise, it's a bunch of pieces bolted together.   That way you don't have an re-alignment puzzle going back in.   
I paid a shop to change my front center section, as it's a big job for one guy and after I did the back myself and had molten metal flying at my eyes and down my arm, torching the frozen nuts off.

Daddio

Be sure to take pictures before removing the brackets / bumpers. I was glad I did on my '59, I couldn't believe how many ways those pieces could go back together.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz