News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hypothetical

Started by fishnjim, December 29, 2019, 12:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I was detailing the 2019, and discovered that the door latch striker cover was "loose", not attached.   So I tried to mash it back down but it just wouldn't snap in.   So I took it off to see what's what.   The outer tabs are longer than the inner, so it's intended to be installed from the outside in.   After I did that, it went on fine.   So I checked them, and all were installed "wrong".   (Tennessee made)
Now fast forward ~40 years, and someone has "restored" a 2019 SR5 and submits to judging and they come to the door latch striker covers and get a deduct for not having them installed incorrectly as the factory did?   Who's right?   The judges or the owner?
I reserve my opinion, not to bias.

savemy67

Hello fishnjim,

In a world of black and white, ambiguities still exist.

In the 2019 Judges Manual, page 6, there is a paragraph regarding"Authenticity Issues".  In the paragraph, it is stated that an entrant at a CLC judged event can question a judges authenticity deduction.  The entrant must provide written documentation, usually in the form of "Cadillac-produced documents or CLC Authenticity Manual".

Since you found what appears to be a manufacturing error, I think you could submit photos and a write-up to the Authenticity Manual committee for 2019 class cars at the appropriate time, and get a consensus as to the correct method of installation for the component, including the manufacturing error.  This should resolve the issue by the year 2059.

Disputation seems to be part and parcel of human nature.  While this can be a good thing - Copernicus v Ptolemy - for less consequential issues I think it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.  Many CLC members have original cars, and a few are lucky enough to have had that original in their possession since day one.  What a great resource for the Authenticity Committees.  Imagine if every new-recent Cadillac owner in the club was to document their car for future Authenticity Manuals.  This would be a tremendous boost to the future quality of the Manuals, as well as to the judging.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop