News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Needing help with caddy daddy conversion kit please....

Started by Red-62-eldo, December 30, 2019, 02:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-62-eldo

Last week I purchased a 1962 Eldorado. The previous owner had a “caddy daddy conversion kit” put on it, to disk brakes on the front.
I have wide white wall tires on the car.
These pads ore carbon pads & produce ALOT of carbon dust which gets all over my white walls.
I want to replace the pads with ceramic pads.
Can any one PLEASE tell me what pads to get to replace them with?
Year make & model vehicle that these pads would go on?
Any and all help eould be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!!!
Thx!

Dan LeBlanc

Your first call might be to Caddy Daddy to see what pads are used in their kit.  They obviously didn't reinvent the wheel and have custom brake pads made for it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Red-62-eldo

I did. They were little to no help. The caliper bolts on these kits are metric. This kinda gives the hint that they are not a domestic product.

chrisntam

Take the pads to a local auto parts store --> Napa <--, they will likely be able to identify the pad and get you what you need.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Red-62-eldo on December 30, 2019, 08:10:51 AM
I did. They were little to no help. The caliper bolts on these kits are metric. This kinda gives the hint that they are not a domestic product.

Not everything domestic uses strictly SAE fasteners.  You wouldn't believe the amount of metric fasteners in my 1977 Fleetwood, for example.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

hornetball

Any manufacturing markings on the calipers?  Only a few companies make aftermarket calipers (Brembo, Wilwood, etc.).  The use of metric fasteners is meaningless.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I would look on the back of the pad itself. 1 of them may have a readable number still on it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Do they offer replacement pads at all?

Post some pics of the calipers,  maybe someone here will recognize them.     

What ever they are I would bet are commonly available in the USA.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

M. Bankes

How could a company that sells a brake conversion kit not know what brake pads to use ? What happens when you need to replace the brakes on your Newley converted car ?
Michael

Abe Lugo

Post a pic of the caliper and the pad if possible. 
Knowing the info will help everyone else on the board. 

Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Bobby B

Quote from: M. Bankes on December 30, 2019, 04:37:43 PM
How could a company that sells a brake conversion kit not know what brake pads to use ? What happens when you need to replace the brakes on your Newley converted car ?

Correct....And for that matter of ignorance or representation of a product they sell, I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything from them. I wouldn't have gotten off the phone until I got a straight answer from someone in the know. You can't possibly be the sole owner of their advertised conversion kit.
             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

BlackCads

FWIW I have the disk brake conversion kit from Caddy Daddy. I installed the brakes on my 65 Sedan de Ville and I love them.
No problems with dust etc.
I will check with my mechanics and see what they say about the pads.
Also, when you called Caddy Daddy did you speak to John? I believe he is the owner and he has always been very helpful to me.

TJ Hopland

Not telling you what application the pads come from isn't unusual in the brake kit business.  Its actually pretty rare that they tell you.  Same thing goes on with pretty much any automotive conversion kit of any kind.   

Sometimes there is a good reason like the parts are slightly modified or it could be that maybe the parts are carefully tested or inspected because how they are being used in the kit is more demanding than the application they were intended for.  Other times its they just hope to make money off selling the wear items. 

If its a decent vendor they should offer replacement parts at a reasonable cost and especially a brake vendor would likely have options.   If they are just really marking up off the shelf pads you chose the wrong vendor.  If they don't even offer replacement parts and still won't tell you the application you chose the wrong vendor.   

The companies I liked to deal with for brake kits were the ones that would sell you the custom parts that were typically not wear items then give you a list of parts to go find yourself.   The list would say get rotors for a 83 this and calipers for a 79 that so you could pick the brand and quality you were looking for.

For our cars there isn't likely a lot of price competition going on but for more popular cars that also factors in.  If there is a popular kit out there for $999 and they want some of that action they will likely have to cut some corners to make that price point and still have profit.   I have read about kits where the forums tell you to get the kit but throw away half the parts that come with them to save you the hassle.         

Bobby B

The Calipers are from some year, make, model, vehicle ,etc., so they just have no idea what they're selling. How much could they possibly make on selling brake pads? I've always purchased conversion kits from companies that sell conversion kits only. This way I can speak to someone in the know if a problem arises during or after installation. Nothing more frustrating than needing an answer on something technical and you get the receptionist trying to rectify it.....
                              Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadillacmike68

Read, and learn folks.

ALL 1961-1969 RWD Cadillacs used the SAME steering knuckle. Front discs were optional on 1968 and standard in 1969, the difference being the caliper mounting bracket vs a drum mounting bracket that bolts onto the steering knuckle. The steering arm is the same.

If you want to convert these years (1961-1968 drum) to front disc get a pair of 1969 caliper brackets, some 1968-71 calipers and some discs.

The disc pads are the SAME from 1968 all the way to 1996 so you can get ceramic pads.

here, less than $20 for Ceramic pads!:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9J104/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2Q93MABOHRVLF&psc=1

That's about it.

Don't mess with over priced conversion kits which have no maintenance info and likely have undersized components.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Abe Lugo

I dont think this helps the OP Cadillac Mike, He alread has the brakes, not need to convert.

If you see the link, the OP with the '62 would have to confirm the kit indeed is just some brackets to get to original style '62 hubs and calipers.

In this case unless the OP take some pictures??? well. Anyone's guess.

Here is the kit that Caddy Daddy shows for a '62.

Also it may be a stock for for the kit.
https://www.caddydaddy.com/1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-cadillac-front-and-rear-disc-brake-conversion-kit-with-booster-and-master-cylinder-new.html

I can appreciate showing other how to get to Disc brakes with stock parts but he's past that unless he takes some pictures.

A Lugo

hornetball

A lot more people than the OP will read this thread.  Cadillac Mike's advice for others considering a disc brake swap in model years that can easily exchange is spot-on!  And, while your at it, grab the dual-master and proportioning valve from the later car too.

It doesn't seem like the OP has been back to the forum anyway.

TJ Hopland

So where do you go about finding 69 brackets?  And it looks like 68-71 calipers and rotors are not the most common item either.   If that stuff is easy to find and reasonably priced that may be the most useful information for people considering a conversion.

Abe Lugo

Well if we are going to talk disc brake conversions.  I have had the best luck with Scarebird.  They provide the list of the all parts you needEd to complete the job.
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60
A Lugo

Omarine

I called CPP today to ask about their kit for a 52 coupe. Seemed pretty complete and wheels might be the one fitment issue which could be fixed with a spacer  maybe 1/4”.

For now i will rebuild stock set up but i sure would like to add dual MC like the one wilwood makes that scarebird mentions on his site.
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop