News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Special Service Tools in Shop Manuals

Started by colorado4x4, December 31, 2019, 02:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colorado4x4

Hello,
Was wondering if any of the special service tools mentioned in my 1970 Shop Manual or any of the shop manuals are available anywhere,  or do they need to be created.

Examples such as
J-8999-2  a support for removing the upper suspension arm bushing
J-8999-15 Bushing installer set

I plan on making my own spacers per the diagram on page 140 figure 3-20 of the manual to facilitate the replacement of the shaft bushings.

There are likely a whole host of specialty tools in the shop manual, as I gather parts and supplies for upcoming restoration projects on my 1970 Deville, just wondering if these tools are available or if CLC members have created their own.

Does someone have a list of all the specialty tools mentioned in the shop manual?
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Nicholas,
The tools listed were (and many still are) manufactured by the Kent Moore Company.  You can contact them directly and see which tools are still available through them.  There are often many of the KM tools listed on E-bay.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

DeVille68

Those "tools" can be made out of scrap steal. At least I did it this way. The purpose of these tools is that the actual part is not deformed by the force which is needed to press the bushings in. So you can make your own part / tool taking in consideration that the actual part (A-Arm) should not be deformed.
I have attached some pictures of my "home made tools".

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

TJ Hopland

Is the reason you need the giant spacer because on many of these there is a shaft between the two bushings?  Otherwise you could just do one end at a time like appears to be pictured later?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

DeVille68

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 01, 2020, 01:26:22 PM
Is the reason you need the giant spacer because on many of these there is a shaft between the two bushings?  Otherwise you could just do one end at a time like appears to be pictured later?
You are referring to the upper A-Arm?
The problem is that when you try to press out the two bushings on each end of the shaft you need to support somehow the A-Arm itself. Pressing on the shaft and keeping the A-Arm fixed. If you would only support one end of the A-Arm the friction of the other bushing would create a force that would distort the A-Arm. It is better to support the A-Arm in the middle as shown in the shop manual. I just made a piece out of scrap metal. The same is true when pressing the bushings in.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)