News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'53 series 62 power steering question

Started by Brett S, December 31, 2019, 07:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett S

On the steering gear box there are 2 lines that go to the power steering pump. One is bigger than the other. Does anyone one know which is the feed line, and which is the return?
Thanks !
Brett Samanns

signart

The one with a section of hard line is the pressure, the one that's all rubber is return.
Art D. Woody

Brett S

Brett Samanns

Brett S

They both are a rubber line. The larger one ( I'm assuming is the feed ) has a 45* fitting at the gear box.

Can anyone confirm which line is the feed or the return? I looked through the service book but I couldn't find anything in there either.
Brett Samanns

signart

The larger diameter hose from the pump is the feed or pressure line, but it necks down to a smaller hose or a hard line before attaching to the steering box. The pressure line is the lower connection on the pump.
The upper hose on the pump is the return.
Art D. Woody

Bronze

On my -56 the pressure hose is connected with a screw on fitting at the pump while the return is just a clamp fitting at the oil canister.

Brett S

Quote from: signart on January 07, 2020, 08:33:03 PM
The larger diameter hose from the pump is the feed or pressure line, but it necks down to a smaller hose or a hard line before attaching to the steering box. The pressure line is the lower connection on the pump.
The upper hose on the pump is the return.

IF I'm reading this correctly, the smaller diameter fitting on the GEAR box is the feed / pressure line? And the larger diameter one with the 45* fitting on the GEAR box is the return line?
Brett Samanns

signart

Art D. Woody

Brett S

Brett Samanns

fishnjim

On this diagram, the 1007 is the pressure, and the 1011 the return.

Brett S

Perfect ! Thank you !

Do you know what is the working psi that is needed for the power steering? I've looked through the book and thoughg i found 750-900 psi, but i cant find where i saw that.
Brett Samanns