News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rochester Carb issue 1966 Deville Question 429

Started by johwilli, January 03, 2020, 01:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johwilli

car ran great all summer. (over 800 miles) all conditions.  started it one day and it would stall when rev. Took to good GM tech as old as I am. He took it off I sent and had it sand blasted and re-built. He is at his wits end. Those two barrels continue to flow fuel and flood. Any ideas, thoughts, introductions to resources, etc are ALL WELCOME - Thank you in advance. Feel free to text or call 978 808 7313

gkhashem

Not a real genius on this but I think its's one of these.

1- Dirt not letting the valve seat because of dirt in the fuel. (I would guess not that since you have had it off and cleaned unless your fuel is bad)

2- Bad or incorrect floats, did he use a good float or the correct one when rebuilding.

3- Too much fuel pressure? Fuel pump worn or bad causing too much fuel pressure.

4- Dripping fuel due to expansion since the fuel line is getting hot and fuel is expanding past the needle and the seat. Did you move a fuel line closer to a heat source causing expansion of the gas?

Also if he is an older guy he should be able to rebuild a Rochester since many less experienced people do not know how to. I have 4 older cars, 3 with Rochesters one with a Carter. Many on here will trash the Rochester but mine all work fine. The Rochester was the GM in house brand so why would it be worse,if rebuilt properly?

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

fishnjim

I'd be having a little conversation with whomever "rebuilt" it.   They're problem, not yours.   a loud "FIX IT!" will suffice.

Typically, I'll say, do not sand blast a carb - of all things? 
Too many ways to get grit in the wrong places.   Sand is a little aggressive for cast aluminum anyway.   
You go down to the parts store and get a 5 gallon can or 2 gallons of carb cleaner, if you have a tank big enough, and soak it.   Takes all the gunk off.   Disassemble and soak everything.   Then wash and dry and clean all ports with a wire and air gun.  Looks like new.
Wish weather would get better today, so I can go outside and cease giving advice...

Cadman-iac

First off, is yours the old 4GC Rochester with dual floats,  or the Quadrajet carb?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

66 would be a 4GC. QJ did not appear until 1967
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadman-iac

Thanks,  I couldn't recall the first year for the Q-Jet.

Second question is, which 2 barrels are leaking,  the front  or rear?

The one nice thing about the 4GC is it's all based on the 2GC carb, which is about the simplest Rochester ever made.
The worst thing about the 4GC is that it holds 4 1/2 gallons of fuel. (Slight overstatement there)
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I assume you just have the standard fuel pump?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille